2002 OBW - Auto Dimming Mirror Failure

Suddenly I have noticed that the dark tint on my auto dimming mirror (which is on all the time) no longer extends over the entire mirror. Instead, it's forming an image in a fish shape (much like those Jesus Fishes you see on cars) with the tail end on the right side of the mirror, and the head ending up about

2/3 of the way across. The whole left third of the mirror no longer has auto dimming tint at all. When I turned the car off last night I could actually see the outline of this shape, still on the mirror.

Anyone else experience this? With the brightness of today's headlights, and all those dumb SUVs with their headlights aimed wrong, this is not a small issue to me. Plus, you can't use the mirror like old-style mirrors and merely flip it down at night.

Is this something that can be fixed? Or do I need a whole new part? And what would it cost anyway, for either of those options?

I'm pretty annoyed that this would happen when the car is only 3 years old.

Reply to
Debra Co

Is this some type of miracle?

If not, then it appears your mirror has failed. I've read about failures often..

Reply to
DG

This auto-dimming mirror is one feature I really dislike. First of all, I am faster with a manual mirror (than the auto-dimmer is autodimming), so I am blinded less with a manual. Also, it doesn't really get dark enough. But I'm not going to switch it out, as it has the compass in it.

Reply to
Alan

The mirror in our forester is suffering a similar failure. I also think the auto-dimming is worthless and now I have to buy a new one.

Reply to
Rob Munach

I actually liked the auto dimming. I guess it was working because I never noticed it and I wasn't blinded by lights at night. But now, it's incredibly annoying. I have to make sure I'm looking into the small remaining dimmed location when I look behind me. Don't tell me to just turn the whole thing off

- then, I am blinded by the light. And I love the compass. So, I guess I'll have to just suck it up and get a new one. Online I can order them for about $135. We'll see what the dealer quotes me as I don't feel like installing it myself.

Reply to
Debra Co

Mine failed in exactly the same way (but an oval, instead of a fish). It got worse over time; eventually the operating spot shrank to nothing.

I was never very happy with it anyway, so I replaced it with a manual day / night mirror found on eBay for less than $US 10.

I do miss the compass, though...

Joe - delete double-zs to reply snipped-for-privacy@mindZZspring.com

Reply to
JoeZZLevy