07 prius automatic rear view mirror?

I am getting annoyed, actually I have been annoyed for over 6000 miles with the automatic rear view mirror in my 07 prius package 5. the mirror never dims in the daytime when someone has bright daytime running lights. at night, the mirror is often not dark enough.

any software or sensor fix for this? I had to pull over tonight when the motorcycle headlight was so bright at 5pm, I could not drive in front of him, so I let him pass me.

can I switch to a manual mirror? Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

Are you in a dark environment most of the day? I mean, I just have had a regular rear view mirrors the last few cars and car lights dont bother me at all.. no matter what..

Reply to
Go Mavs

"Rocky" wrote in message news:eOCMi.124$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga...

Simple just see

"Electrochromic-Mirror Modification. That self-adjusting technology is great; however, the actual implementation of it could be a little better. I've had a few owners mention to me that they wish it would darken a touch more when close headlights hit it at night. So, today I did something about it. Understanding how it actually operates made that fairly easy. There's a light-sensor on front (the mirror side, where the homelink buttons are too) that sees vehicles approaching and responds accordingly. The brighter the lights, the darker it makes the mirror. The catch is, it needs to know how dark it is outside in the first place. Because during the day, everything is extremely bright. Darkening then is not wanted. That's where the second light-sensor comes in. It's on the back. The darker it is outside, the darker it allows the mirror to become based on the degree the other light-sensor tells it. In other words, if you cover the one on back entirely, the mirror will think it is the dead of night (totally dark). Obviously, that's too much. So I just fabricated something to the effect of sunglasses for it. I simply taped a piece of transparent blue sheet-plastic over it, without even having to remove the mirror from the windshield. That works great! From a distance, headlights at night have no effect on the mirror at all... since it is normally off then anyway. But as a vehicle gets closer, the mirror activates and automatically grows darker. And it's not passive like it used to be. That modification seems to force the electrochromic reaction to be more aggressive. So the headlights turn a funky greenish-yellow, rather than the subtle change like in the past. It's pretty sweet! I highly recommend all owners with that type of mirror give it a try. Here's a photo showing the modification... photo album 80"

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

Huh... I have a regular manual rear-view mirror in my Corolla, & the daytime running lights of the cars behind me have never, ever bothered me. How can DRLs be bright?? By definition/virtue of their function, they're relatively dim.

OTOH, since it is an issue for you, maybe someone will be able to answer your question (I can't).

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

DRLs are all over the place when it comes to brightness. And some people run their regular headlights (and fog lights, and any other light they can tack on to the vehicle) all the time. Finally, in many jurisdictions, motorcycles are required to turn on their headlights at all times.

Tolerance to glare varies greatly. Just becsaue you don't have a problem with glare, doesn't mean another person doesn't as well.

When an SUV is riding your rear with high beam headlights and fog light on, the only option is sometimes to turn the mirrors down. I had one behind me Tuesday that had such powerful lights, that my car cast a shadow on the road in front of me - at 11 am in the morning.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

See the other part of my reply - [quote: "OTOH, since it is an issue for you, maybe someone will be able to answer your question (I can't)." ] - in my previous post.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

thanks, I will try this - I was looking at the sensor wondering what I could cover it with... Rocky

"Daniel Who Wants to Know" wrote in message news:v1DMi.115323$Xa3.3481@attbi_s22...

Reply to
Rocky