Automatic shifter is stiff

'92 Subaru Legacy 4WD wagon

I've been driving a newer Subie for awhile. That means my old '92 sits around and might not get used for a few weeks. When I get into the old Subie, the shifter (console) is very stiff. There is a lot more resistance to move but it does move and the car doesn't seem to have a problem getting into gear. Just moving the shift lever is more difficult. Then after driving for 10, or more, miles, parking, and getting back in, the shifter moves okay. It's like something is loosening up when I drive it.

The car has previously had long periods of sitting idle but I've not encountered the stiff shifting (at the start of using it and then it loosens up). Just started happening this spring over the last month or two. Seems weird as this is new behavior but indicative of maybe something is going wrong and might get worse. It is still a tad more stiff even after driving for awhile but much less so than when first getting into the car after it has sat for weeks unused.

Reply to
Vanguard

If you feel it is the trim/console that is the problem, try a little silicone spray lube. NOT WD-40. If it is the linkage, probably have to dig deeper and maybe lube/replace some bushings.

I dunno

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan