oil leak 90 Legacy wagon

It has been sitting for quite a while but still starts and runs pretty good. I just put it on the road for short hops. I am smelling burning oil when I stop.....like oil on the exhaust manifold. Is there a valve cover gasket that is a common problem on these? Any other place to look?

Thanx Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Hi,

A coupla places that are problematic are the valve cover gaskets and the cam oil seals. Of these two, I'd suggest the cam seals are more commonly problematic.

If it's valve cover gaskets, you can have oil dripping straight down onto the exhaust, while cam seals generally cause the oil to run down the front of the engine behind the t-belt covers, then drip and be blown back onto the exhaust.

Valve cover gaskets are quick and easy to replace. Cam seals involve tearing much of the front of the engine off, so you should plan them as part of a more comprehensive "service" session: timing belts, cam seals, front crankshaft seal, and oil pump seals (front seal, rear O-rings) should all be included here, since the labor to do one pretty much covers the labor to do any. Many will suggest replacing the water pump at this time, too, again because of the labor vs potential benefit cost.

Now, there MAY be a cheap and dirty fix for you, too. Since the car's been sitting, it's quite likely the seals are somewhat dried and shrunken. SOMETIMES just driving it a while will help get them to swell and seal again. Other times one of the hi-mileage oils (those you see advertised for cars w/ 75k+ miles on them) can help due to the "seal conditioners" in them. You may even get relief from a simple bottle of "oil leak stop" from the auto parts store. Remember none of the chemical fixes will help if the seal's actually damaged: torn or cracked. Only replacement will help then.

If you can, you should probably get the engine nice and clean before doing anything, simply so you can actually see where the leak's probably coming from. Helps make diagnosis much simpler!

Best of luck!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

There's little doubt you have one or more oil leaks, likely in the spots Rick mentions. But I'd just like to suggest the outside possibilities of either a leaking oil pressure switch or a torn CV boot. Usually the CV grease smells much worse/different than engine oil though.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

ESPECIALLY if it's the side over the cat! I kinda forgot how lovely THAT smell is... thanks, Carl!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Thanx for the replies. I had the hood up last night and found the oil "evidence" on the driver's side...I guess it's the valve cover. I'm an old V8 gear head trying to ID the various parts of the motor :) But, I didn't see any obvious drips. The pattern looks a lot like it's being blown onto the valve cover and not dripping onto it. From there it is prolly dripping down on to the exhaust manifold. Will do more investigation when I have time in the daylight. I will be changing the oil/filter with the Castrol "high mileage" oil soon too.

I generally shy away from additives to the oil but, it there one that you would recommend?

Reply to
Mike Copeland