AWD icy roads question

This weekend I was driving my Outback ('05 MT) on somewhat icy freeway roads with a really strong sidewind. Over 50mph the steering wheel wanted to do this slight oscillating motion left and right, which caused the car to start to sway left and right. It was a little unnerving, but would go away if I lowered my speed. I was wondering what the heck was going on. Possibly some limited-slip action going on in the rear-end? Meanwhile other Subarus zipped by me. When the roads dried out it stopped. Any ideas on what was going on? I can't discount that maybe I was overcorrecting on the wheel with the wind and all, but try as I might to hold the wheel steady it kept happening.

Reply to
Dino

First answer to just about any "my steering wheel did X" question: Check your tire pressure and make sure your wheel lugs are properly torqued.

Reply to
sewiv

Reply to
Marc and Jill