Opinions on Subaru Tribeca?

Any opinions on thenew Subaru Tribeca? I am considering a new large car or SUV which handles well in snow and this seems to be a prime contender.

Reply to
Richard Kaplan

It's really ugly?

Reply to
Bonehenge

Ugly? why ugly? I found this SUV very nice and the interior too. "Bonehenge" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Johnny

Ugly from every angle outside. Weird dash inside. Competent performance. Personally I wouldn't drive it if they gave me one for free.

To each his own ...

~~Phil~~

Reply to
~~Phil~~

It will probably work. It isn't what I'd call an SUV and it's buttt ugly!

Reply to
nothermark

And, well, it is an SUV.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

how come Ifound tribeca sexy?!

Reply to
grape

I'm not going to go there (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Richard Kaplan scribbled:

Personally, I wouldn't buy one of these trucks, I like driving too much, but since you're asking here's my two cents on the beast. When I first looked at the pictures, I thought it looked ugly but after seeing one parked next to me, I have to say it's not bad at all, for a full size SUV. Certainly no worse than what the other manufacturers are coming up with, including Porsche and BMW. The Mercedes looks the best of the lot IMO but it's not quite as big.

Reply to
MK IV

Reply to
Edward Hayes

If they do make a van in the same general shape I'd consider trading in the OBW for it. My wife would like a little taller seating height but it's not worth doing for another 4 door vehicle. She and occasionally we, do Gem& Mineral/Jewelry shows and unloading out the side would be very nice. At the time our daughter totaled the van, (Windstar POS) we couldn't quite afford to replace it with a Honda Odyssey which would've been ideal.

Carl

Edward Hayes wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Competent performance but you would not drive it for free???

Reply to
Richard Kaplan

I just bought a 5 passenger Limited about a month ago and love it. I don't really understand the comments about it being 'ugly'! To me, it is a nice looking vehicle and handles very well. There will always be people who don't like something and that's why they make so many different cars. If everyone had the same opinions, we would all be driving Fords, Chevrolets, or something similar.

I have a trick hip and the 02 Legacy Outback that we had before was very uncomfortable. My legs were straight out with no support, but with the Tribeca, there is support and I can drive it for long periods without discomfort.

I only have about 1500 miles on it so far, but have no complaints. I haven't found any problems at all and am satisfied.

Don D.

Don

It's political. The basic issue is that it is not a utility vehicle. A lot of us look at the original sport utlity lineup - a truck that held more than 2 folks, towed a load and handled roof racks for skis/boats/bikes/gear. The new generation is too round and often too weak to load the roof or tow more than 1000 lbs. It is just a sedan with higher rollover potential. "But it looks sexy" barf.

I'm glad it works for you. It shows why there is a market. A '57 Chevy would do the same and haul more with about the same fuel economy. Not so many safety features though. ;-)

nothermark

Reply to
nothermark

Do you "really" know that these things that you mention apply to the Tribeca? Are you just basing your comments on the fact that you just don't like the looks? I personally don't haul things on the roof, but the Tribeca is capable of doing it and it will tow more than 1000 lbs. It has a lower rollover potential than most SUVs on the market, if only based on the H6 engine. I haven't as yet put it through its paces, but it seems very stable and the huge tires alone will add to its stability. (I don't look foward to having to replace them though! :) ) I believe that many of the comments about the car are only based on the fact that some people don't like the looks and really aren't based on facts.

As I said, some people will dislike any new vehicle that comes out. You can't provide "ANY" vehicle with features that will appeal to "ALL" buyers. Impossible!! The Tribeca is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but no vehicle qualifies in that respect. I like mine and that is all that really matters to me. I don't plan to drive it in extreme off-road conditions, but 99 percent of the SUV owners fall into this category. I like it better than my previous Legacy because of the stated support that it offers my legs.

Safety features are important. I live in Florida, so I don't drive in snow very often! :) I found that the Legacy was outstanding on wet roads though. I tried to spin it out under pretty controlled conditions and was unable to do so. My previous Mercedes was actually unsafe under certain wet conditions and I wouldn't go back to a standard 2 wheel drive. I expect the Tribeca to be similar, even though I haven't had a chance to try it in heavy rain yet.

Don D.

Don

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Stick with a conventional Outback Wagon. The Tribeca is about as cramped inside as a early-60's Mercury or Gemini space capsule inside if you're taller than 5'10".

Also the car is just plain BUTT UGLY ! Oy Vey!!!!

It ACTUALLY looks like some 6 year old kid kid made a model of a Porsche Caynene and a Lexus LX-300 and a Nissan Murano out of RED PLAY DOUGH, AND then SQUISHED THEM ALL TOGETHER to make the Subaru Tribeca at the factory model shop. (....must have had too much MSG in the soup that day in Gumma ?)

I will be amazed if Click and Clack on NPR don't vote this Subaru as the most BUTT UGLY car since the 59 Edsel for 2005.

Reply to
hummer

hummer scribbled:

Your nickname definitely makes you an expert on butt ugly...

Reply to
MK IV

I have to agree with both of you (:

Yet another hamstermobile.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

As I said before, I understand why you like the vehicle. It's a great car. That is the point. It's a car dressed up. My Hyundai Accent is rated at 1000 lb tow. Look up the real SUV's and you see tow numbers like original jeep CJ 2000 lbs, Chevy Blazer 5000 lbs, Dodge Ram or Chevy Suburban more than 8000 lbs. These are vehicles that you can haul a load of stuff somewhere with, ie utility. They have payload and towing capacity in tons not lbs.

The Tribecca and several other vehicles like it are really overdressed sedans rather than truck based so a lot of folks are not happy with calling them SUV's. The Subaru ad campaign of redefining the SUV makes out blood boil. it's not that we don't see why people like them it's just that they don't fit the utility class. Amaybe they are sporty but I wouldn't take one seriusly off road. On the other hand they might do the beach and will definitly handle rain. I really am glad you like it, I just wish Subaru would shut up about it being an SUV. ;-)

Reply to
nothermark