Baja Opinions

G'day,

I have been looking at at the Baja as something that has pick-up versatility but is more car like both on the highway and in gas mileage.

I know you don't get a pick-up but I don't think I will be carrying that type of load. My biggest concern is the back seats, which may not be the friendliest to families.

Does anyone out there have any strong opinions or advice that they would like to pass on on the a potential owner?

Michael

Reply to
Michael McCaugherty

Micheal, I just traded a Dodge Dakota for an '03 Baja December 21st. I have already hauled my elderly parents on a 95 mile round trip in it, and they were very comfortable. It was loaded with luggage and presents for another outing, and I seem to have no trouble figuring out how to haul a lot of stuff in it. The first tank of gas got 23.33 mpg, and I am thrilled! I was very tired of 15 mpg at best, and the 5 speed is FUN.

Reply to
Shwackman

Subaru rear seats are fine for 2 adults 3 in a pinch but Baja only seats 2. Front seats are great!! The Baja is pointless. It will cost you over $1000 to have secure bed storage. Go with an outback wagon. This is from someone who almost bought one. If I wanted a pickup I'd get the nissan 4 door and have a usable bed and 4wd

Reply to
jabario

Where do you get the $1000 for secure storage? I put down my back seat, and can store (and lock up) anything I need to there. Outback Wagons are about 1k to 2k (if not MORE) than a Baja... so I don't understand your "it costs $1k for lockable storage" rant.

Yeah, don't get a Baja. Go with an Outback Wagon and be like 99% of the other people on the road.

It's no different than any other vehicle with an open bed. The last pickup cap I bought was a color matched and tinted windowed, but otherwise basic, fiberglass Leer for a 1996 Nissan King Cab. That cap was $750-800 in the summer of '96. I wouldn't be surprised if the same cap was $1000+, now that it's 8-9 years later.

Driving a Baja may help you stand out for all the wrong reasons. =8^0

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Well if you need to transport 4 people with baggage there is no lockable storage. Bags get to stay in the open bed and get stolen , wet etc. I like the idea of the Baja but just feel its execution was not well thought out and for myself realized that the lack of locking gas cap, and the high cost and nuisance of obtaining a cap made the outback a much better deal even at a slightly higher initial cost.

Reply to
jabario

Well, I can really use the bed of the Baja, and I don't carry many people at once ever so it works for me. One thing, the '05 Bajas have the option of a hard, lockable, snug top.

You are right tho, I mean... the sales of the Baja are extremely low. I doubt it will make it through '06. I'm still glad I got mine.

Michael McCaugherty wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

Well, for me it was something like a love-at-first sight. I was at the dealer to look at wagons and noticed this strange truck-like thing sitting in the showroom and I was like "wow, what is that, it's cool!" Ended up buying the wagon because it was what my wife wanted, but a year and a half later I finally bought the Baja turbo. That was 3 months ago, and for me the smile factor is still running strong, meaning that every time I get in and drive somewhere I just start grinning like an idiot.

Sorry I can't help you with your specific concern because I haven't had any passengers in the back seat of this car, in fact I usually just leave it down for the extra internal storage. I sat in it myself for a few minutes just to check it out, seemed comfortable enough, not terribly roomy but not terribly squished either. Actually it felt like a pretty typical back seat for a small compact car, except that there's a little storage compartment in the middle which makes it impossible to fit more than 2 people in the back.

Anyway, I can't understand why so many people seem to have such a strong dislike. It's just so... I guess the best word is versatile. It's really fun to drive, it's roomy, at least in the front, the bed is great when you need to haul sporting goods or medium sized furniture around, although I highly recommend getting the bed extender if you're going to do this much.

One other thing, I would highly recommend the manual transmission. It feels just about perfect. I haven't had a chance to try the automatic tranny, but the reviews I've read indicate that it is a little but sluggish and annoying. Not a big deal for me since to me ALL automatics are annoying. :)

Reply to
Tom

I've had my 04 Baja Turbo since Dec 03 and have had folks in the back seat many times. Never got any complaints and actually have had many positive comments about the comfort and room. I also have to agree with the smile factor while driving the stick. I love to be able to wind it up (to the speed limit) at each stop light. I get a lot of surprised looks from the other "hot shoes" I blow off. The ability to accelerate at the higher speeds while on the freeway (60-70) is amazing and gives me a feeling of safety (to be able to get out of those stuck behind some slow dork situations.) Mike

Reply to
Carmen and Mike Minerva