ping: Nate .. old baja pics

Hey Nate.. I found this page.... these are from when the house was going up.. I'll post some current ones or I can email them to ya..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Bro, please post them here so we can all see them.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Yea. What he said.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

thats pretty dang neat mac! im surprised though, at the cost. 150k is what i would expect to pay in this country. in mexico where the typical worker makes $5 a day how do the locals afford to live if a nice hosue like that is

150k? how are you received in general? are you disliked for being able to afford such a house? for example, so many californians are selling their homes and moving to montana bringing the millions of dollars that they got for selling their homes in california that the property values here are getting so outrageous that its getting difficult for the lower and lower-middle class to afford a decent home. this (amongst other political reasons) is why the natives tend to dislike californians (im not saying it is justified or not, im just saying how it is). do you run into the same thing there?

i look foward to more pics, its really neat what you have done.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Why do so many Americans have a complete lack of knowledge of Mexico yet make statements like that? It is true that Mexico's minimum wage is about that but per the Mexican Social Security Institute the average is

4 to 5 times as much. Plus their money goes much further than it does here.
Reply to
miles

that statement was based on comments from someone actually living and working there. are you claiming greater knowledge than one who lives and works there every day?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

I can't.. my new news server strips them..

If I get them on a page I'll post the link here.. fighting a damn cold now..

*hack*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I can sure tell that you don't live in California, Nate... lol We refinanced our old, run down house in CA for $320k to build this one.. we were in what's a "starter" area in Fresno... anywhere near a big city and it would of been twice that cost..

live if a nice hosue like that is

Most of them can't or don't want to... The builders and business folks could if they wanted to, but to the average worker it would be like an almost rich persons house.. Some of the houses in town are little more than shacks (with dish and ac) and some are far nicer than ours..

As I've told my friends here for 2 years, I haven't met a local yet that I didn't like.. and that I sure can't say that for the gringos here.. In general, I think the locals are a mixture of curious and grateful of the income.. maybe a bit envious, but I don't pick up on that much... The "trickle-down" theory works here.. We're building houses, so the builders are busy and hiring, the trades are all doing well, the trucking industry is booming and pushing for better roads, etc.. Most of the local stores and restaurants have been doing well enough to remodel and direct marketing for the gringo customer... A lot of folks are doing very well with us here and seem to enjoy absorbing us (and our bucks) into the community..

montana bringing the millions of dollars that they got for selling their homes in california that the property values here are

class to afford a decent home. this (amongst other political reasons) is why the natives tend to dislike californians (im not saying it

I saw a lot more of that in urban areas of CA than I do here... Folks would sell their homes in the San Francisco area for a few million and come buy homes in our area for cash, usually at over market prices.. I think it's sort of different here because we're driving the gringo home prices up very fast but not really effecting the price of the local home, except that the demand on material has really made those costs go up... Then again, I'd guess than the average wage in the area has more than triples in the last 5 years..

Thanks, we love it here...

I've got a freaking cold.. bout the 3rd one this winter, and still sitting in the sun looking at the water.. One downside of being in a place like this is that between folks going to visit family and family visiting here, we always seem to have some kind of bug going around... Must be all the huggin' and hand shakin' they do here..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Messages with binary attachments don't get passed through many servers on the inbound side either. You can post them at

for free.

Reply to
Nosey

I'll throw a bunch on one of the web pages when I feel better..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Possibly yes. I do not know whom you are referring to. I have traveled Mexico extensively, have relatives born and raised in Mexico and my folks currently live in Mexico. So yes, your statement is wrong and Mexico's IMSS office that tracks such figures also disagrees.

Reply to
miles

I hope you feel better soon. I was sick as a dog on Wednesday. I laid on the couch for about 18 hours with a fever. I only got up for bathroom breaks and my head hurt so bad I could hardly keep my balance. I'm still feeling some of it today but I'm medicating with copious amounts of a fermented malted barley and hops remedy. It doesn't do much for balance but it eases the pain some.

Reply to
Nosey

what some website has to say is to me irrelevant. i base both my statement and belief on those who live there and work there. earlier i posted a link to my friend/employee oscar. he is one of my sources.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

No, I got them on your first attempt.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

i never got them. message was empty.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

You are wasting your time Nate. Miles knows everything about everything and has family who lives everywhere and does everything. Funny how he described Mexico as a third world nation and then says everyone there is living well and the poverty level is slim, LOL.

Reply to
TBone

They must have changed, obviously... when I tried a few weeks ago it told me that the files were refused!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

hmm... your server must have stripped them... Did you get the link for the old ones?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

IMSS is a Mexican Gov. office that reports economic conditions. They are not 'some website'. As I said, I do have family there and know the economy well. The average wage in Mexico is NOT $5/hr and not even close. It is not a dirt poor country as so many Americans who have never been there believe.

Reply to
miles

3rd world does not mean dirt poor. It's more of a cultural and sociological difference than an economic one. You crack me up TBone. You and Nate will argue about a country you've never been to and attempt to know all about it. Too funny.
Reply to
miles