Bought a Crap Gimmick -- What does it do?

So, I picked up a "Pro Choice Performance Module" for my car, because I've been a little disappointed by its pickup. I had a hard time believing the claims the seller made, but I figured that for what I paid, even if it did nothing at all, I was only out twenty bucks.

So, it showed up today, and this thing is supposed to replace either the Intake Air Temperature Sensor or the coolant temperature sensor.

I don't expect it to do anything, but will it actually hurt to hook it up? I can't imagine how twiddling with a thermostat could have any kind of positive effect.

WHat is this thing *supposed* to do, and should I bother installing it at all?

Reply to
L. Ross Raszewski

There's all sorts of "performance" modules out there..

if it's the air temp; by telling it it's colder than it really is; more fuel will be dumped in (air will be more dense, hence requiring more fuel).

there's ones that do O2 sensor mods -- basically they lie to the computer to get the computer ot pump more fuel in....

anything short of modifing the injection map and / or ignition map is a waste of money .... That's just my HO

Reply to
Josh Assing

computer to get

So, if it works by claiming it's colder than it really is, could that lead to the engine overheating?

I realize that's probably an incredibly naieve question. More or less everything I know about cars, I learned from my dad, who couldn't keep up any more by the time fuel injectors were a serious option.

I'm not even exactly sure where to hook this thing up. My repair manual hasn't been much help (At anything, really. I've always preferred Chilton, but I can't seem to find one covering the '98 Legacy, and had to go with Haynes instead, which I'm sure is a fine manual, but it's awfully thin for the number of models it covers)

Reply to
L. Ross Raszewski

Move 20 bucks from your pocket to his :0

Reply to
Bugalugs

doubtful; more than likely you'll just notice your fuel usage go up and your spark plugs foul faster -- you may eat up a cat quickly too.

I would advise you to toss it out.

Reply to
Josh Assing