PA24A4 code: what does it mean?

Hi,

I have a 2010, 2.0L diesel, Mondeo. Today a big sign came on the display saying "engine malfunction". Some time ago, I bought a cheap elm (?) reader from ebay and used it to read the code; it is PA24A.

I tried to find out what this means using google but it appears that codes are supposed to begin P0 or P1; I cannot find any codes beginning P2. One web site suggested P24xx to 29xx are "SAE Reserved" but what does that mean?

The car is under warranty, so the dealer should look at it free of charge I am hoping. The car seems to drive perfectly. But I wonder what it is; do you know?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

do you mean P240A? (nearest I can find to the one you say) if so it is evap leak detection pump heater open circuit.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Hi,

Sorry, I typed it wrong. It was P24A4

Reply to
Fred

that code does not appear in the list I have, but generally they go in groups, and p24a1 and 2 are to do with the diesel particulate regeneration system. good luck

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Out of interest, surely a 2010 car is under warranty?

Reply to
GB

The OP has stated that it is in his initial post, and is probably carrying out his own investigation on the fault/code before he approaches the dealer - very sensible with the way some dealers respond to warranty claims.

Ormolu

Reply to
Ormolu

I recently had a similar format fault code on our 2011 BMW 120i.

Looking all over the web pointed me in the direction of coolant temperature. Possibly sensor, or thermostat etc...

When at the dealer, the service adviser even tried to look up the code I gave him on Google, and found the same. The fault actually was a failed NOx sensor. This petrol engine runs very lean and produces high NOx as a result, so it has a NOx Converter as well as a Catalytic convertor to meet EU5 emission limits.

The service adviser stated that garages were always ringing to ask what various codes depicted, and he had to tell them that the codes they got from their scanners meant nothing to the dealer workshop as the dealers' equipment used a different decoding algorithm, and would give different codes on their system...

Brilliant, this must be intended to retain work within the dealership network.

What about the Euro Bloc Exemption legislation, I thought that that was intended to prevent this ?????

David

Reply to
David

Hi,

The dealer was unable to look at the car before the bank holiday, so they have only just had a look at it. Here's an update.

The error appeared on two separate days but the day it went to the dealer it was fine! The dealer's computer did not find anything wrong so they say they did "symptom diagnosis". I'm puzzled by this because the car drove perfectly so there were no symptoms to diagnose!

What is the diesel particle regeneration system you spoke about?

They said they replaced a vapouriser pipe, whatever one of those is, but when I asked more, it seems this was not faulty but they had to break it to remove it to get to some component underneath that they wanted to check.

They say they have reset the computer and to go back if there are any problems. Time will tell!

Reply to
Fred

Hi, OP here. I just wanted to know what it might be so that I had some idea whether this was a minor fault or something catastrophic and whether I would be without a car for a few days or just a few hours, and so that when the dealer spoke to me I understood some of what they were saying.

Reply to
Fred
[...]

The fault *may* still have been in the ECU memory.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Hi!

My Honda CR-V (2007 2,2 i-CTDi) allso give faulty code P24A4. Car work normally, but sometimes cruiser will drop off. I have HDS (Honda Diagnostic System), and it will not give any explanation for that.

Anyone solve this problem, or have any ideas to that ?

regards, Marko

Reply to
marko.tyyska

same as for the mondeo, the previous three codes (P24A0, P24A1 and P24A2) all relate to the diesel particulate regeneration system, so it is reasonable to assume that P24A4 is also a code for the same bit. (there are no other codes in the P24An range at all)

Reply to
Mrcheerful