Boxer engines thirstier?

that's about what my 91 legacy gets...20-21.

Reply to
mac

No, John, I do not. I appreciate being able to wait another week (or another 130 miles along the highway) before I MUST refuel. On a trip it gives me more flexibility as to where I buy gas. In town, that lets me tank up when prices are down, or pass on by when they are high!

I've now got one vehicle, a big GMC truck, with a 34 gallon tank. Since it gets over 20 mpg, I can go one week, two weeks, or three weeks on a tank around town. On the road I can stop 300 miles out, 420 miles out, or drive all the way to El Paso before I stop to refuel. I can, therefore, stop ONE TIME when I need to eat or use the facilities, rather than say, every

120 miles along the Interstate! (But then, I HATE driving when the fuel gauge reads below 1/4....)

I am almost ready to buy a Forester, and one thing I in this thread gives me some pause: IS there a requirement for premium gasoline? I didn't realize there was.

Reply to
no mas panzon

Reply to
Edward Hayes

The manual for my OBW H6 3.0 recommends high octane but says using low octane is allowed in an 'emergency'. I use mid-range as a compromise. I did run one tank of reg. - never heard any pinging.

Carl

1 Lucky texan

Edward Hayes wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Would that possibly be because the computer retarded the timing (and reduced performance) to compensate for lower octane?

Bill Putney

Oh yes I'm quite sure. I suppose 'require' is a relative term. Will running reg. in the XT result in pinging? how far can the ECU retard the spark?

No doubt I suffer some loss in performance (though not noticeable) and probably slightly lower fuel eff. but I suspect there is still a cost savings.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Bill Putney wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I find the performance difference very noticable on my 2.5L Legacy. Running on 96 (or 98) RON it has a ton of torque right from idle. Running on 91 it can barely get out of its own way until you get to the plus side of 3000 RPM.

I don't think maximum power is affected much though.

-- Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Hoult

Very welcome news, Ed. Thanks