CEL at 62k -- 60k mile service caveat emptor [semi long, but happy ending]

Short on time, I decided to bring my car in to the local dealer for its 60k service in lieu of doing it myself (per prior posts). Since I have the Subaru extended warranty I also wanted them to look at the intermitted Check Engine Light (CEL) I had that would come and go along with horrible acceleration as though there were a few cylinders not doing their share, and also have them check the recent return of a lot of belt whine and ticking noise on cold startup.

The extended warranty covered a new cam belt tensioner (wee! Now the

4th timing belt tensioner that's been on this vehicle!) and replacement of a bad knock sensor. Ah, the joy of the first return on that hopeful investment on Subaru Added Assurance platinum to 100k.

Anyhoo, the 60k service was quoted to me at $510 in two separate phone calls I had with the service department trying to find out what exactly was and wasn't included in their 60k service. I was trying to avoid having the dealer throw in more than is actually required by the service schedule. Pleased with the answers I go, I then scheduled an appointment requesting "subuaru 60k mi service", and when I brought it in the service writer wrote it up as "Service Level C."

Later I got a call from the service dept saying "I see they wrote you up for a 30k service, but the vehicle has 62k on it, you want a 60k service right?" I agree, "Ok, I'll make that change." I thought that was odd, but okeydokey.

All seemed fine until today when the car became ready and the bill they told me was $892.41--almost $400 more than I was quoted on two separate occasions! I discussed this with the guy who'd called me, and he said "service level D includes a timing belt change" and I said, "this vehicle is not due for a timing belt change." Avoiding the beating up the Indian when I should be talking to the Chief syndrome, I hang up the phone and call back asking for the manager of the Service Dept.

Evidently this dealers "Service Level D" is what was performed on my car which is Service level C plus the timing belt change. Evidently what the dealer does for what they brand a "60k mi service" does exceed Subaru's maintenance schedule. I finally get this info after

5 phone calls. :-)

After explaining to him that I made 3 prior phone calls trying to avoid this situation, and verify what services would be performed, he did the right thing and honored the $510 quote.

It seems the level of diligence we consumers must have on these service folks is quite high. However, I'm glad my dealer finally did the right thing and honored the original quote despite additional services being done. I'm also a happy to have gotten more value out of that service than I might have otherwise! However, I am still annoyed that I talked to so damn many folks trying to get assurance on what a "60k service" was and cost, and they still managed to fugg it up. :-\

In short, caveat emptor. Times 5.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Just one reason why so many of us do our own work, at least the simple stuff like the whole timing belt/60K thing. TG

Reply to
TG