iPods and Subies

Anyone have any experience installing an iPod in their car? I have an '05 Outback wagon, and would like to know what model the base CD/Am/FM is. I am assuming it's a Clarion...I have an email into Subaru and am awaiting their reply. I am hoping it has an input on the back that I could use.

I don't think an FM modulator will work as I have metallic window tint on all back and sides. Also, there are very few available FM frequencies in the Phoenix area to use.

I am watching several web sites (Crutchfield, Densionusa.com, etc.) for new hard-wired solutions, which could be avialable soon.

-KarenM-

Karen Martin

Try one before you discount this method. Your modulator simply has to be stronger than the regular station. It doesn't take much power from a modulator to do that.

Not saying it *will* work, but you never know.

-John O

Reply to
John O

I don't have an ipod, but I use both a portable mp3 cd player and my palm pda to listen to both music and books while on the road. For this I use a low tech cassette adapter which comes with a mini audio plug and is widely available. Search ebay for cassette adapter and see.

That's the only use I give the cassette player in my car radio. Good luck!

Ben

Reply to
Cixcos

My iPod goes with me all the time in my RS. I also use the cassette adapter -- mine was a Sony. I originally bought it so I could bring my minidisc player with me, and it came with a cigarette lighter adapter as well, don't use that anymore since the iPod has it's own.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Braun

area to use.

Not sure how many radio stations are in the PHX area, but there are more than 200 available spots on the FM dial. I think you could find one that works with your iPod and an FM-Mod.

Alex

Reply to
alex3324

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 11:24:30 GMT, Cixcos wrote in news:PFrMc.2049$ snipped-for-privacy@fe39.usenetserver.com:

Many car audio systems now only come with a CD player and no cassette tape drive (as implied above).

It's too bad all radios don't have a mini-plug jack on the front for AUX like the 1991 Legacy.

Reply to
Dave Null Sr.

It's not that hard to pick up an aftermarket deck with a line-in. Mine has it.

Reply to
Cam Penner

Those work great, just be aware they magnetize the snot out of the tape heads. After using an adapter, don't use the deck for cassettes you can't re-make easily, the magnetized heads will kill the highs from the tape. De-magnetize the heads and all is well again....until you use the adapter.

-John O

Reply to
John O

My 2000 OBW had a Clariion deck in it, an AM/FM/cas deck, so I was able to use a cassette adapter on an MP3-CD player. Later, I replaced the whole deck with a JVC MP3-CD indeck player, so I no longer needed the adapters or portable CD players and stuff.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan