Timing belt replacement at 60K service?

Hi,

I just scheduled a 60 K miles service on my Outback 2001 2.5 L and they recommended that the timing belt should be replaced? Is this normal? The owners manual says it has to be replaced at 105 K miles. On the other hand, including the replacement, their price is only a $150 more than another dealership 60K service without timing belt replacement. However, in my opinion it is not necessary. I would greatly appreciate your input.

Ivan

Reply to
batvanio

I certainly wouldn't change the timing belt at 60k. But then I wouldn't pay a dealer to do a 60k service either.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Your decision should be determined by the answer to one question: What does the timing belt look like? Any signs of cracks or wear?

Given that 6 years have passed since your car was new, I'm gonna guess that it's not gonna look so hot and you will want a new one.

You are correct that the maintenance interval for it is 105k. Timing belt inspections are however mandated at intervals before that, including 60k.

If inspection supports the need to replace the timing belt, it's a good time to toss in a new water pump. They should only hit you for the cost of the water pump since they've got it torn down to that point anyway.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I replaced a 2001 timing belt at 60k and felt i was wasting my money, the timing belt was perfectly good, but, once i had disassembled I decided to go ahead with the change.

If > Hi,

Reply to
AS

I think the dealer might be a little bit greedy and quick to take your money. You may also be tempted by same greed to wait until 105k.

To find middle ground it would be sensible to wait a bit perhaps untill 80k and then changie it. There is no savings on labor replacing it now right, apart from the seemingly good price of only 150$ more than a regular 60k service some other dealer.

Tough decision.

Why don't you tell us how much are they quoting you, cause I think the total price may be a tie breaker.

If it is reasonable ON ITS OWN and you don't plan on getting rid of the car you may do it now- have peace of mind, reduce risk, and not trouble yourself with this in the future (replacing the pump at the same time is a good idea).

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

Forgot to add, the car and belt will be old when at

105k. That is why I said _greed_ in spite of the fact that 105k is scheduled maintenance interval. I think if you read carefully somewhere in the maintenance booklet there is a time interval on timing belt replacement. If I am correct it is six years. I may be mistaken, and it may be 10yrs. Try to find this info, it'll help you decide.

Good luck, M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

I got it, its 105 months, almost nine years.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

Thanks to everyone for the replies,

One of the dealers is asking for $639 for a 60K service (without the belt replacement) The other is asking for $799 with the belt replacement. I am not sure how much it is if I don't go to a dealer but just to a regular car place - probably cheaper (significantly) but I am not sure what risks are involved and what parts would be used - I would assume they would use Subaru parts, ?

Ivan

Reply to
batvanio

Hi All,

Thanks for the input. I thought I posted this reply before but somehow it did not show up, so I am re-sending. Basically, the one dealership asks for $639 for a 60K service without a timing belt replacement. The other one asks for $799 with a timing belt replacement. I have not asked other places (not dealerships) but I suspect they will be cheaper. However, I am not sure what risks are involved if I don't go to a Subaru dealership (probably no risks, but never done this before). Not sure if parts replaced will be original, etc...

Thanks again,

Ivan

Reply to
batvanio

Replacing the air filter and fuel filter is very easy, you can do it yourself even if you are marginally mechanically inclined. Same goes for oil and oil filter. Changing brake fluid, (transmission fluid change is not part of 60k maintenance) coolant, plus spark plugs can all be done much cheaper at a regular mechanic. Try finding one that specializes in Subarus. Not many parts involved.

There is no right or wrong answer, it all depends on your preferences and pocketbook.

$799 with timing belt change, is not extreme,by dealer standards.

Is the dealer trustworthy in your opinion. There are people who in a similar situation will try to scham you. You have 60k miles

6 yrs, while the belt is good for 105k 9 yrs, you may be cheated if the dealer is unscroupulus, this is particularly likely if you look, sound or are foreign.

Many thing to consider.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

What would you do? (I have 59,500 on my 2001 OBW).

Reply to
John Rethorst

Do all the items that I can, myself. Then take it to an independent shop for the rest.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I changes the timing belt at 105K miles and after inspection there is no single trace of wear. For my next Subie I will probably postpone it to

120K. Similarly, the changes water pump looked just perfect.
Reply to
alf

This would seem to be a lot of wasted money...changing the belt 45,000 miles BEFORE its service interval? Plus, for the sake of comparison, my Subaru dealer changed the timing belt in our OBW for about $379. And my dealer is in Chicagoland which is probably more expensive than most.

Reply to
lkreh