ceramic pads/powder coated rotors = good?

Rick Courtright posted back in 2003 asking about people's results with ceramic pads on Subarus, but no one really replied.

I need to replace the rotors on the front of the 99 OBW and am thinking of getting the powder-coated rotors in the hope of resisting rust and warpage better. Can anyone comment or advise? The price difference is $100 for the pair, so it's a big decision.

Also, the consensus here seems to be that the OEM metal pads perform the best, but my mechanic suggested top-of-the line ceramic pads from Raybestos as a cheaper and more effective alternative. Any thoughts on this point? BTDT all appreciated.

Reply to
KLS

Lots of folks seem to do well with OEM - though online delaers such as

will save you some money. You also could look around at
, ask around at
,etc.

Some folks feel buying the pads from the same manufacturer as the discs is important, Stoptech pads and rotors or DBA pads and rotors or Brembo pads and rotors,etc. If you want a little higher performance, check into Hawk and EBC for pads with OEM or Brembo rotors also. Ceramic and other performance pads will likely work just fine - though they could be noisier. Noise wouldn't bother me, but may be a concern for my wife (as an example).

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan