ceramic brake pads & warped rotors

Anyone else experiencing reoccuring warped rotors after installing ceramic brake pads?

My father did complete brake job w/"P-Boys" ceramic pads on 2 different trucks(Dodge Ram GMC Suburban)... first having the rotors turned... subsequently replacing rotors and drums after both vehicles developed pulsing pedal. After installing a second set of new rotors on the Dodge with no improvement, the ceramic pads were swapped out for the "usual" semi metalic on the GMC and the problem seems resolved on that vehicle. The Ram is scheduled for semi metalics this weekend to see if it provides the same solution. Currently with 2 weeks of service a runout gauge indicates 2 to 4 thou of runout on the new rotors. (too much?)

And yes he's aware of & goes thru the proper torquing sequence and doesn't over tighten the lugs.

We're under the opinion that the combination of a heavier vehicle with the ceramic pads cannot dissipate the heat as effectively and as a result...is repeatedly warping the rotors.

Is this Murphy's Law or anybody having similar problems?

Reply to
cadaman

|Anyone else experiencing reoccuring warped rotors after installing |ceramic brake pads? | |My father did complete brake job w/"P-Boys" ceramic pads on 2 |different trucks(Dodge Ram GMC Suburban)... first having the rotors |turned... subsequently replacing rotors and drums after both vehicles |developed pulsing pedal. | |After installing a second set of new rotors on the Dodge with no |improvement, the ceramic pads were swapped out for the "usual" semi |metalic on the GMC and the problem seems resolved on that vehicle. The |Ram is scheduled for semi metalics this weekend to see if it provides |the same solution. Currently with 2 weeks of service a runout gauge |indicates 2 to 4 thou of runout on the new rotors. (too much?) | |And yes he's aware of & goes thru the proper torquing sequence and |doesn't over tighten the lugs. | |We're under the opinion that the combination of a heavier vehicle with |the ceramic pads cannot dissipate the heat as effectively and as a |result...is repeatedly warping the rotors. | |Is this Murphy's Law or anybody having similar problems?

From what I've learned, it's a matter of using in inapropriate pad for your application. Ceramics typically address 2 issues: noise, and dust on wheels. On a HD application, those are secondary to actual stopping. For trucks to 1 ton, I've yet to find anything better than Raybestos Super Stop pads. Excellent feel, easy on rotors, acceptable life. Originally came out for commercial and towing applications. I also used them on a Pinto road race car, with great results :) Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B