Need some advice buying a used Legacy

My second Legacy, a '92, was just involved in an accident and although it drives just fine, I had no collision insurance on it and the amount to fix it (even a jimmy-rig "barely legal" fix), plus the fact that it was gonna need a timing belt, brakes & tires means it's time to find another car. I've had good luck with Legacys and I'd like to find another one with about 70-80K miles. After scanning this NG I see that complaints about more recent Legacys seem to predominate ('99 and newer). I think I'm going to wind up with a '93-'97 model. A few questions:

Any model years in that range to avoid?

Are the AWD models in that year range problematic? More expensive to maintain/repair? I've been happy w/FWD in my '91 & '92.

When did Subaru change the body/interior? I'm wondering about keeping my '92 for parts (I moved the radio/cassette from my '91 to my '92 because the one in the '92 was identical EXCEPT it lacked an input jack).

My '92 doesn't owe me anything--bought it almost 5 years ago for $3400 when it had 65K and the original owner had just replaced the timing belt and the CV joints. I don't think I'm going to get that lucky this time! TIA for replies.

Rob Aries

Reply to
Rob Aries

'95 was the introduction of the 2nd gen Legacy. Mine's a '95 :-) No problems so far, but I've only had it for two years and 60,000 km.

-- Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Hoult

As far as the 95-99 version of the Legacy, statistically speaking, you're likely to have the fewest problems with a 99 model. As has been suggested over and over again, check out Edmonds, cars.com, etc., for research. Basing your purchase decision on some survey of this NG is pointless.

Reply to
L. Kreh

½hr ago, on a "Monday Night Football beer run", I ran into, well, I should say I *parked next to* a guy with a '95 Brighton wgn (2.2L, no electric anything, added a CD player) which had 162,000 miles on it, and it was the third Subie he'd had over 140k miles since '85, with only oil changes and 2 timing belts. I think I'll stick with Subie for a while to at least see how the third gen's hold up. Terry - '02 Regatta-Red GT wagon 5spd - 25,000 miles '03 Silver Legacy SE auto-sedan - 2450 miles Yakima / TandeMover / Rockymount rack To reply, get rid of the "nonsense"
Reply to
TW-Ohio

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've been pointed to usmb.net and have also found great info there.

Due to my current financial state it looks like I'll be able to spend a max of 3K...however I am seeing some interesting things on cars.com--like a loaded '97 Legacy 2.5GT AWD for $4K (no mileage listed, I'm about to call). More typical is a '95 w/135K for $2400 and a '92 with only 87K for $2900. I would really prefer a car with less than

90K, I'd like to get at least 3-4 years out of it. Also for s&g I've checked on Camrys and Corollas (ugh)...but for me reliability is key and I've been very happy with my '91 Legacy (bought new) and '92 I replaced it with.
Reply to
Rob Aries

I have a Legacy 95 wagon TCS, that is the last FWD Legacy that Subaru sold in America. This second gen has new sheet metal and interior, but from under, it is almost a carbon copy of the first generation of Legacys. I can even interchange the brake discs and pads. Steering is more precise. Still the same 2.2l engine (which is more peppy than a AWD with 2.5 liters) At 160K, it still looks like new. It just starts to show some rust spots. Never touched the engine, no oil leaks. After 8 years it is in a better shape that my Legacy 90 was after 5 years (that one now at 260K). You can probably find a TCS for much cheaper than an AWD model, as it is perceived as an underdog. A friend who was impressed with my car, bought an 02. He's got lots and lots of troubles. Bearings, tranny, diff. As if Subaru pushed the envelope too far with the third gen. I'd skip the third gen and wait for the fourth one, if I stay with Subaru (they're getting expensive). Felix

Reply to
Felix Crashalot