Coolant for EA82?

I'm new to the group. I searched the archives and failed to find a related post, so... I recently bought a '91 L-series 4WD wagon with a reconditioned EA82 in it. What coolant type is recommended? John

Reply to
john_newgard

Hi, and welcome!

I've run plain ol' green Prestone, mixed 50-50 with DISTILLED water, in my '90 Loyale as long as I've had it. Don't know for sure what prior owner used. Regardless, the engine's just shy of 360k miles, and the radiator has been changed once, at somewhere around 320k. I don't know how many water pumps it's had, but I put over 100k on the car before swapping the pump out to "feel safe."

I did try the orange "Dexcool" extended life stuff once, and it seemed to leak a lot more than the green stuff. The green has always just "weeped" at the bottom of the heads--the orange actually dripped on the floor. Don't know why, but I went back to green and the problems went away for the most part. So I don't recommend the orange stuff.

Hope you enjoy your Subie!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright