reinstall inner CV joint

91Jetta/GL wolfie, manual with 253,000 miles:

Based on the knowledge I got from previous postings, I'm planning a weekend project to replace the right axle cv joint boots, inner and outer.

I know the outer cv joint is not difficult to remove. But to remove the inner joint, based on Bentley manual, one needs a set of special tools and a machine "press", just to remove/install the cv joint and install the circlip.

Has anyone done this job without a "machine press"? How realistic is this undertaking? I've purchased a whole set of tools, the ratchets, 12-points, etc, hoping to earn the tools by doing by myself. If I have to hire a machine shop to remove and install the single circlip, I better let my shop to do it all.

Would anyone minds sharing a few tricks for the job?

thanks a lot. Ben

Reply to
Benjamin F. Zhou

Go here:

Easy is you go slow.

If the boots are ripped and have been for some time, you might be better off replacing the whole axle but with that many miles on it, who cares.

If the bearings are dry, they might be toast.

Reply to
Dave

It's late and I'm tired, but it sounds to me like you read the directions for removing the drive flange and not the CV joint.

Chris Z.

Reply to
Chris Z.

That will work, and is how I have done them in the past. The inner joints usually don't go bad unless they've been run dry for a while and/or the tranny output flange is leaking gear oil into the CV.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

thanks for the recommendation. In no way will I pay a machine shop just to remove and install the inner CV joint. The reason I decide to do it myself is to earn the tools I need for the job, and for later. I have already bought most of the tools except the press, and VW522 used to install the circlip.

I don't feel the axle shaft has any sympton of being worn out, as listed in the manual. So I don't see a reason to replace it, even if it's cheap. My goal is just to keep it for another two years until it gets the 300,000 mark.

I'll take a day off tomorrow for the project. will report back to you all about my success or failure, or any trick out of a night dream's inspiration.

cheers, Ben

Reply to
Benjamin F. Zhou