91 Camry... Removing cv joint boot, need advice

I have a 91 Camry LE with automatic trans. I noticed today that the right outer cv joint boot has a tear in it. I would like to change out the boot. I have done it in the past, but I forgot one thing about this procedure. Do I have to completely remove the inner joint to remove the boot for the outer joint? Is there any where on the web where the procedure is described fully. I have the shop manual, but it doesn't explain the procedure for boot removal.

Thanks, Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

joint

Two schools of thought here. Generally when boot goes bad, joint is reaching the end of its life cycle anyway. You can install a split boot without removing shaft and get some more time out of it and replace the whole axle shaft because unless it is a new axle that has had its boot torn, I would not tear the axle down to replace a boot of a old high mileage axle, I would replace complete unit.

Reply to
SnoMan