CV Joint / Rear Axle (1995, 100k)

I hear a clicking from my right rear wheel that has the distinctive CV joint clicking sound. Looking at old (2000) posting to this group it appears that I would be better off buying a whole new/reman axel. The labor for installing the axle seems less than replacing just one CV joint, and it seems that only one of the two CV joints can be replaced. So, does it make more sense to replace the axle than try to replace one CV joint? If so do I need to replace the left and right axle (or is it recommended to do so)? Any good sources for and axle? And do I need the axle nut or any other non-reusable part? Thank you.

Reply to
somebody

Mazda wanted about $400 per side for the replacement rear half-axel. I found Autozone.com and racepages.com had remanufactured ones for about $100 each with free shipping (and core fee which should come back). Also partsamerica.com had them for about $120 each. Remanufactured ones sell for more on ebay than they do direct from these dealers. Also on Ebay are used ones for about the same price (or more) than the remanufactured ones. Despite the high core charge, I ordered a pair of them from Autozone since I know they are a reputable dealer.

Reply to
somebody

Funny, Mazda wants $800.00 just for the pair of halfshafts. I have a low-mileage 1996 torsen rear end for sale that includes the halfshafts and driveshaft. I started out asking $650.00 for the entire setup and got no takers. The price has dropped to $550.00, I am not going any lower, I would rather save it for a future project than do that.

The torsen in my 1991 model is from a 2001 model. That 1991 model now has OEM parts from a 1990, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2000 & a 2001 model miata, plus most of the Flying Miata catalog installed.

Now I am trying to figure out what I can put on it from the 2006 MX-5. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

I think the shift knob will fit. That's about it....

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

another reason to go with autozone is that i can return the cores to a local store and not have to pay for return shipping.

Reply to
somebody

Have they changed the offset or lug pattern on those 17" wheels? Not that I would ever use them on any M1 or M2. In fact, I would switch those out asap, both for a one inch smaller size and a different-looking style if I bought a new MX-5. People seem to either love the wheels or hate them, I am in the latter category.

How about the brakes and engine/driveline? It can't be as easy as the

1.6 to 1.8 swap but maybe possible without too much customizing? I agree, the compatibility guide will be very short for new model miatas compared to the previous two models.

I could never give up my black metal voodoo knob. In about two hours, I will be able to go grab it and suffer 2nd to 3rd degree burns to my hand from this near-molten piece of metal. Why would I ever give that up? ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

5 lugs, same pattern as RX-8 and Mazda3.
Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I guess that is so that they can use some of the same parts such as hubs between vehicle models?

With modified 16 year old, 250+ hp miatas running on 4 lugs with no problems, it doesn't seem like the new one would need five.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Will it? That is a relief. I do not particularly like my shift knob, but when I unscrewed it, the thread seemed to go on forever, so I assumed it was not compatible.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

C'mon Leon, just take the voodoo knob out of your '96 and see if it fits the 2006 model. Then you can let us know for certain.

pretty please? :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

I have no voodoo. But I'll try to remember to swap the knobmeister (bigger size) tomorrow and see whether that one fits.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

You have no voodoo? That is like having no mojo.

Be careful, you may find yourself leaving the Knobmeister on your new miata, er, MX-5...... :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

It does fit fine. The thread is not as long as I initially thought.

No. But I do need to get a shift knob, brake handle, shift boot, brake boot replacement. They look really cheap. One day when I have some time. :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Well so much for AutoZone... I ordered a pair of axels. One arrived damaged with the ball bearings rolling around inside of the box. AutoZone customer service could not replace it for some reason. They told me to re-order on-line and now, weeks later, that order has been canceled. I have the one side installed, returned the core, and returned the completely defective unit... now what do I do? I still have clicking from the old side. Does it matter if I get someone else's axel for the other side? I would order from partsamerica.com but unlike everyone else they tell me that there is only one axel for the car/year. Everyone else (who no longer have the thing available) list a 614193 vin number that you are either over or under for the correct fit.

Reply to
somebody

Which side is still bad? I know someone who has a 1996 model that was hit hard on the passenger side. I am pretty sure that it damaged the part on that side, but the other one is probably ok, I would need to look at them. I don't think that they would be looking for a lot of money for it. I would need to make sure that they still have it if you are interested. It would be coming from Austin, Texas for shipping calculations.

I have two good used ones, but they are going with the driveshaft and torsen as a package.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Reply to
somebody

Damnit, I know that. The brain cells are going away....

Well, crap. Thanks for the information, this will save me some time if I sell the halfshafts separately

Yes, there is a solid notched section that is read by the ABS sensor as it spins beneath it. I am pretty sure that you can use these on non-ABS cars and vice-versa, (with the loss of the rear ABS capability, of course). There does not appear to be any fitting problems, but I have not verified this for certain yet.

I would hope that they make them to factory specs and that they weigh the same, that is the only operational problem I could think of as long as they are quality units.

Good luck!

Pat

Reply to
pws