Dashboard light

Hello:

I posted about this once before without response - thought I might try again:

I have a 2002 Legacy Wagon. One of the dashboard display panels (small one that shows the time and outside temperature) is unlit/burned out. All other dashboard lights work fine and the dimmer works correctly as well.

My Subaru guy would only suggest that it would take more money than I want to spend to try to diagnose/fix it.

Has anyone had this happen? Do they use bulbs? Any easy way to get at the back of the dashboard?

Thanks! Fred

Reply to
Fred Boer

Is the LCD off or just the backlight dead?

There is one light bulb just for that

I am not sure you can have access to the back of the instrument cluster with it in place. If you can't, then you need to take the cluster off, and to do so, you need to:

disconnect the battery tilt the steering to its lowest position Remove the cover around the shifter Remove the switch panel to the left of the steering wheel Remove the center panel Be careful not to scratch the cluster and remove the frame around the cluster Remove the 5 screws that hold the instrument panel Remove the connectors and take the cluster out.

Good luck!

Fred Boer wrote:

Reply to
AS

Hi!

No, the LCD is working (I can still see the temp and time). Ok. So it *is* a bulb.. I will take a look at your instructions. Thanks!

Fred

Reply to
Fred Boer

It may be an LED, and have to be soldered to be replaced. Not sure, just a guess...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I've seen some info about accessing clusters that talks about deactivating the air bag - I wouldn't want to set off the airbag - is this an issue? Thanks!

Reply to
Fred Boer

Thank you. I will be trying this soon. I appreciate your help!