Definition of a SUV

I agree. The Tribeca is all about market share. Time will tell whether it was wise for Soob to get away from its roots. The SUV worked well for the Germans, but I think the Tribeca is too little, too late. I'm one of the majority who like it, but wouldn't buy it.

LK

Reply to
lkreh

The original SUVs -- the original Cherokee, Blazer, Bronco, Suburban, etc. -- were extremely sport and utility oriented. It's the new ones that are too nice and expensive to even get dirty that really are useless for sport or utility.

-LK

Reply to
lkreh

An awful lot of people buy German SUV's simply because they say Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, or Porsche on the hood.

Those folks, who usually list "prestige" as a feature, probably wouldn't even look at a Subaru.

Reply to
B a r r y

nothermark wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A Subaru Legacy!

Reply to
Larry Weil

How about a minivan with a nice low centre of gravity? Or a sedan. I suppose it depends on where I live. Am I out in the bush somewhere, or in the middle of suburban, sameness hell?

Reply to
k. ote

FWIW - check the milage ratings. Comparable size vans and SUV's get about the same milage. From what I can tell the real issues are weight and frontal cross section area.

Note: my only observation is that SUV's are really targeted as political BS. Reallity is that if the folks driving them need the capacity it doesn't matter whether they are driving an SUV or a full size sedan or a minivan. If they tow much more than a ton they can only pick a larger SUV of truck as the minivan's and cars don't have high towing capacity anymore.

Reply to
nothermark

Yes, Nova (it does not go), Pinto (Spanish slang term), and even today the new Buick LaCrosse (Allure in Canada due to French Canadian meaning of LaCrosse). Seems very little is done to ensure the meaning of a name until it is sprung on the public. I believe that is why so many Japanese cars were only numbers here at first although in Japan almost all have names, for example in the U.S. the 240Z was the Fairlady Z in Japan.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

In March I rented a Ford Freestar for a week, while car shopping. (I ended up buying my first Subaru.) I don't like big vehicles, so I expected to dislike the Ford. I tried, but I couldn't. I really liked that minivan. Handling was awesome. Comfort was great. One of my daughters pleaded with me to buy a minivan, she loved it so much. I couldn't believe how much I liked it, considering how bigoted I am.

This past weekend, I rented a Kia Sedona (minivan). Ick. Engine and transmission were good. Interior was good. Overal fit and finish were flawless. But handling was awful, as was steering. Nice try, Kia. You'll get it right eventually. I notice Hyundai is getting very good reviews lately.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

I agree, but minivans generally have more interior space. So remind me what the advantage of an SUV are, over a minivan.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Minivans are incredibly practical but are not so good in the masculinity affirming department. They are also no better than in a sedan in poor weather. Yes they do have AWD minivans but what fool would trust a chrysler with complicated technology. There are also few regular wagons out there. The Magnum had promise until the designers sloped the rear hatch area negating the ability to really haul stuff. Most people would be better served with a wagon or minivan than with an suv. But appearances are important even with $2+ gallon gas. Just look at the smoker trash that pay $60 for a carton .

Reply to
jabario

You have issues with your sexuality, don't you?

Reply to
KLS

No, a man should drive a manly vehicle

Reply to
jabario

A REAL man would drive whatever he wants.

Carl

snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The only minivan that will tow a significant load is the Chevy/GMC as it still has a frame and rear drive. The rest are oversized sedans. With Chrysler the quote I often hear is "after 20 years you'd think they could make a transmission that lasted more than 70K miles". Then there is ground clearance and 4wd. Not everyone needs All those features all the time but most folks who buy SUV's think they need some of them some of the time. If they didn't they would buy something else, like a luxury sedan.

A thought. Folks who buy big vehicles aren't that bothered by gas milage. They buy the vehicle because they think they need the utility some of the time. Driving it to work alone is not why they own the vehicle. It's just more cost effective to use a gallon instead of a half gallon to get to work and not buy the second car. Assuming one can garage the second car. Not all folks can. If they don't need the load capacity they can get the rest with a small SUV like the Honda CRV at quite reasonable milage.

Reply to
nothermark

Yes, it probably goes something like that, often. I think it's bad math, though. People want to own stuff because they might use it. I saved money by buying my Subaru, so I can rent a minivan when I need to. I can also rent an SUV but I've never felt the need to.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

If that works for you that's fine. On the other hand price renting a larger SUV 15 or 20 times a year. That is what folks with campers would need. Then there are the horse folks, boat folks, snowmobile folks, home handyfolks, etc. And don't forget most of them want them on the same weekends. ;-)

Reply to
nothermark

Right. Those people should own SUV's. And they do. Good.

That doesn't explain why 99% of SUV owners made their decisions, though.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

either you underrstimate the number of folks involved in the listed activities or I over estimate them. Maybe you should try asking the folks who drive them why they do. The one's I deal with have a reason that makes sense in most cases. If they don't they ususally got talked into one by a relative who was worried about them driving in the winter. In the latter category they mostly get the little one's that are just rederessed cars. They worry me much less than the folks going for the big Sedans.

Reply to
nothermark

To quote a TV ad for the Hyundai Santa Fe (I think that's the model), "...rugged looking"

Says it all, dun it?

Reply to
bob