is subaru capable of cross-country?

like the jeep, or chrokee, can I drive a subaru impreza on a muddy road or maybe no road... like where Hummer can go?

Reply to
grape

Any road where you have sufficient ground clearance. That's the big issue. Real 4x4-ers are scornful of soft-road 4x4s that get stuck and need rescuing after bottoming out on a dirt track.

It used to be the case that Subaru suspensions could be jacked-up with spacers, up to 5" above standard height. I don't know if that's true any more, but I doubt you'd want to do this to an Impreza anyhow.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Not where the original hummer can go but anywhere an explorer or such can go

Reply to
jabario

You can go anywhere that the following is true:

- 4WD low is not required

- Airing down of tires is not required (Subie tires are too low of a profile), such as certain types of sand

- The Subaru's available dynamic ground clearance will clear the obstacles

That said, most anything that's called a "road", fire road, muddy road, etc... will probably be passable with an AWD Subie. Once there are large rocks, severe inclines, etc..., you'd be better off with at least one solid axle and 4WD low.

Have fun! Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

only once

Reply to
I'm Right

Rubbish!

I drive off road, muddy roads, across streams. Where ever I like. No problems!

Reply to
Lord Drool Rockworm

Partly because of its suspension and wider angle of approach, the Forester is probably more suited to off-roading than other Subaru vehicles.

Thanks!

Marc Sindell Twin City Subaru Sales Montpelier, Vermont

Reply to
marcus153

I recall reading about an article about the making of an SUV commercial. Might have been for Jeep. The basic directive from management was that in every frame of the commercial, there had to be at least one wheel off the ground. They wanted to convey a tough image of their vehicles dashing over rocks and rough terrain as easily as most people drive home from the supermarket.

In the end, they had to tow away about a dozen SUVs used in the filming of the commercial. They needed that many because their entire fleet had busted brake lines and severely damaged undercarriages/wheels.

Reply to
y_p_w

I take my Forester off-road where my hunting buddy's pickup won't go. I did get hung up in snow once when I drove in field with drifts higher than my clearance. I was able to dig out. You have to know your limitations.

Also, I was recently amused to read that local police and tow truck had to remove building contractor and new Hummer from nearby stream bed that he could not negotiate.

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Offroad driving is 90% driver capabilities, 10% vehicle capabilities.

Reply to
CompUser

vehicle capabilities.

Reply to
jabario

I'd believe that. My Jeep broke a sway bar ball end last year on the beach. In another adventure, my Outback badly glazed the clutch, as I had to slip it to get up a steep incline. The engine didn't have the torque to move the car, nor did it have 4wd low, which would have allowed proper clutch engagement. The neat thing about Jeeps is that I easily replaced the broken parts with aftermarket quick disconnects, so it can never happen again.

They ALL break offroad! Except my Toyota trucks... (knocking on wood)

The big difference in a truck-based, solid axle suspension vs. the Subie is dynamic ground clearance. While the solid axle has a diff pumpkin, it fulcrums over large items, maintaining clearance. Typical indie suspension gives much of the static clearance away as the wheel rises to travel over the object. Both systems shine and suck in different situations.

Reply to
B a r r y

Right on, to a point.

I live near a Land Rover off-road driving school that has been featured in many magazines. The owner and chief instructor of the school will tell you the exact same thing.

Reply to
B a r r y

I should add that the 10% is crucial, as per another poster's Miata analogy.

Reply to
B a r r y

Yup.

I've known guys that could take an open diff, two wheel drive, who'd outdrive YOU, in a Hummer...or whatever.

Next!

Reply to
CompUser

Yeah sure. Post a video of one driving a camaro etc in an off road situation (not grass or smooth dirt road) and I'll believe it. So one of those NASCAR rednecks could win in a hunday accent? Yes people with capable 4x4's get into trouble through stupidity but a good vehicle is crucial. Preferably Jap made since they sell their vehicles in markets where there are no roads and are built tougher than US made wannabes that take kids to the mall or soccer games.

Reply to
jabario

I think they key is also speed. Too fast and the bottom is more likely to scrape the rocks/terrain.

Well - I thought there are some specially designed independent suspensions. Doesn't the original Hummer have the diff relatively high up in the chassis? Also - if the suspension is set up fairly soft for driving on pavement, it's more likely to bottom out. One article I read mentioned that a lot of serious offroad suspensions are almost uncomfortably stiff.

Reply to
y_p_w

Don't knock my Accent. You would be amazed at the places I taken it.

Reply to
nothermark

Reply to
grape