Difference between 5M and 4A in engine spec?

I've seen Subaru Legacy L vehicles listed with engine specs of:
2.5L 4cyl 4A 2.5L 4cyl 5M
What's the difference between 4A and 5M?

I would assume that is 4 speed automatic versus 5 speed manual. Wouldn't apply to newer generation since they have more speeds, but since you say L, I assume this is a 1990s or early 2000s legacy.
weelliott wrote:

Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about the transmission as part of the engine specification.