differential ?

I have an 4WD 1994 Subaru Legacy that is giving me a headache... I have had a zooming sound at the right front tire. I have had the right front axle replaced. The subaru dealer said it was the 4WD that was broken and I disengaged it by removing the fuse. The sound remained. They also said it could be the transmission or a front wheel bearing. The sound remains when I drive it in neutral. thanks for any advice, marc

Reply to
Marc Vooijs

I've toasted a rear-differential on a 2003 Legacy. The noise sounded like whirring (almost like a muffled cell phone) when I would let off the gas while in gear as the engine acted as a break. Does not sound like what you describe.

Napalm

Sounds like a wheel bearing. I had one go and it sounds like what you are describing.

If it is, whether it is in gear or not will make no difference. However, you will hear the pitch of the sound increase and decrease with your speed. It may also disappear at certain speeds. It might also reduce going around turns, but usually only in one direction unless both front bearings are shot; ie. it would reduce going around left-hand turns but not around right or vice versa.

Hope it helps.

Reply to
FNO