DIY maintenance on Subarus-Imprezas especially

Hi all:

I did a bit of Googling but couldn't come up with a clear answer. How tough is working on a Subaru for a home mechanic? I'm looking to buy a used one (probably Impreza) and it'll probably be out of warranty. Is there anything that's especially difficult to work on compared to other engines?

Thanks in advance! Tim

Reply to
tim

It's a modern vehicle, and like most modern vehicles the engine bay is somewhat cramped. However, it's a longitudinal, rather than transverse layout, so many components are easier to get to than on a standard front drive car. I've never had many issues getting to things, although the spark plugs can be a bit tricky. I had to try several tools before I found one that actually gave me an angle to get the old plugs out.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Hi all:

Reply to
hippo

Subaru's are one of the easiest vehicles I have ever worked on...at least the normally aspirated versions. Anyone can do the routine stuff including the timing belt, water and oil pump, cam seals, plugs,etc. TG

Reply to
TG

True. I'm still amazed at how easy it was to swap the alternator out. IIRC, it was 9 fasteners and two electrical connections. And at least 3 of those fasteners were securing the plastic guard over the belt. Compare that to my sister's old Pontiac, where I spent more time trying to locate the fasteners than it took to do the entire swap on the Subaru.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker