Do you have the factory underseat subwoofer? I want your opinion.

I'm amassing Subaru bucks faster then the services are coming up and I'm looking to do some upgrades to my H6. I've already got bug deflector, compass/auto dim mirror. There's not much left except maybe the subwoofer so if you have one how well does it work? Obviously, it's not going to rattle the windows but I'm looking for cheap way (mind you I'm using SubaruBucks for this) to round out the lower end of the factory stereo.

Reply to
null

I have one in my '99OBS. You're right - it doesn't rattle the windows, but it is a cheap, clean way to add some bottom end. It balances the sound out pretty nice. If you put it in yourself, two words of caution: 1) tune it before you install it under the seat, 2) when you pull the radio out, drape a blanket over the console so you don't scratch it up.

Reply to
rick

My 98 OB came with one installed. It adds to the sound of the stereo, my 96 OB didn't have one. Depending on it's cost it could be worth it. Why not check with a stereo shop or Crutchfield to see what a sub woofer upgrade would cost.

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
null

We have that system and love it ... I don't need to have it litteraly blast me out of the car, but I do like to crank it now and then and I love the bass response it puts out ... well balanced sound overall and no noticeable distortion. But you won't be able to get your suby to bounce down the street in rythm with the bass drum, sorry.

Reply to
nItpIk

It all depends on what kind of low bass satisfies you. And I am talking quality, not quantity. pseudo-subs like the factory add-on really only extend to 50-60Hz or so where it peaks. Aftermarket units typically go to 20-30Hz (with auto application reinforcement).

If you are accustomed to listening to deep bass, it is hard to accept the factory sub. However, the tradeoff is that the install is cleaner and doesn't take up valuable space. ...all a matter of priorities.

CW

Reply to
CWu

In the space of a car you probably couldn't propagate a single full wave even at 60 Hz. So the issue becomes more of 'pressure pulse' type bass.

as you say - its a matter of priorities.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

CWu wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
null

If you're looking for it to headbang too, it's not going to. If you're = looking for it to get a decent bass balance, it will but I have found = that it is mostly too big for a nice bass balance beyond the lower = settings and too small if someone wanted a really booming bass. I = personally think it's sort of weird, but I guess it's better than = nothing.

June

I'm amassing Subaru bucks faster then the services are coming up and I'm =

looking to do some upgrades to my H6. I've already got bug deflector, compass/auto dim mirror. There's not = much=20 left except maybe the subwoofer so if you have one how well does it work? Obviously, it's not going to = rattle=20 the windows but I'm looking for cheap way (mind you I'm using = SubaruBucks=20 for this) to round out the lower end of the factory stereo.

Reply to
Diva

It's clean and tight, and goes as deep as you could hear over the road noise, if you run your EQ reasonably flat. If you want your ears burst, no, it's no good.

Reply to
larry

That's a commonly held idea that is plain WRONG. You can easily get sounds way below the "full wave" length of the enclosure. Think headphones and you'll see how this idea that you need big spaces for low bass is erroneous.

--------------------------------------------------------------- Alan Peterman al at scn.rain.com Tigard, OR As I grow older, the days seem longer and the years seem shorter.

Reply to
Alan Peterman

I was about to say the same thing. You only need to run a test CD in your car to know that low frequency hearing is not solely "pressure pulse".

CW

Reply to
CWu

I see your point Alan. I wonder why there are some home theatre folks touting this view?

I shoulda thought before parroting something like that.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Alan Peterman wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

It's ok. I would have rather saved the money when I got the car and put something else in though. I definitely like my truck's base more. But then it has a couple of Infinity Component Sets and 2 12" Kicker subs in it.

Reply to
Jason Kavanaugh

I got a Clarion SRV303 (or PSW 160)from eBay for about $80. I placed it under the driver seat on my WRX. Looks exactly like the Subaru OEM sub. Yes, It adds a nice bottom end to the sound but won't scare any little old ladys as you drive by.

Reply to
Mark