Does the spare need to be in the back?

I recently got a flat tire on my 1998 Subaru Outback. I am aware that you are suppose to put in the FWD fuse, but it is not clear if the spare needs to be on the back. The owner manual states....

Before driving your vehicle with temporary spare tire, you put a spare fuse inside the FWD connector located in the engine compartment. You can confirm that it is in front-wheel drive as there is a front-wheel drive warning light that comes on. After you reinstall the conventional tire, your remove the spare fuse from the FWD connector.

I ended up switching the full tire to the front and putting the spare on the back, with the thought it would handle better. The question is... is it required?

Reply to
Randy Henderson