Doors lock automatically - makes me crazy!

Hi All,

Got a 2001 OBW H6 VDC. Great car, but this one thing drives me nuts!

Every time I start it up & shift into gear, the doors automatically lock! This just makes me crazy, since my wife is now standing in the rain, banging on the window.

I don't want the car deciding when/if to lock the doors! I think if I'm in an accident, I WANT people to be able to open the doors. If I want them locked, I'll do it myself, thanks!

There must be a wire I can cut to end this nanny-like behavior. Anyone found it ??

Greg

Reply to
fred bloggs

Sorry, don't have an answer, but one obvious comment - don't start the car until your wife is inside. Isn't automatic door locking a requirement in some areas to minimise car-jacking?

Dave

Reply to
Coggo

Reply to
grape

There MAY be a connector you can unplug near the driver's side door sill, behind a forward trim panel. I THINK its function is mentioned in the manual - like something to have your dealer do to enable.

sorry I'm not certain

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I seem to recall that Volvo went to fairly great lengths to do the opposite - where the doors would default to unlocked while moving, and would, if struck in an accident, fail to an unlocked position. It is very helpful to rescue crew to have unlocked doors rather than locked doors.

Reply to
Cam Penner

My 04 OBW does not do that..

Reply to
Alan

Wow, I'm jealous! I'm looking for a way that I can lock all my doors when I shift into gear. I live in the city and would hate for somebody to jump in because I forget to lock them...

I had a car with a viper alarm on it before. With the viper, you can program it so it locks all the doors when you shift into gear. Do you happen to have an after-market alarm?

Reply to
wiz561

You shouldn't be putting the car into gear until:

1) all cargo, people are in, and doors are shut

2) seat belts are on all persons inside

That's standard safety. Have a little freakin respect for your wife and her toes. The day you run over them by slipping your foot of the brake will be a bad day.

If you fail #2 on your driver test in my state, automatic failure before you even leave the lot!

Reply to
Ratatooie

It's not standard on my 2002 OBW LLBean edition. If I unlock it, it stays unlocked until I lock it manually.

Reply to
Deb

Reply to
grape

I had a VW GTI that did the same thing and talked to the dealer about it. It turned out that there is a setting in the computer to turn it off. I suspect that the dealer can do the same for your Subaru. Ask the service guy about it. Jim

Reply to
Jim Sanchez

Reply to
Wandering Willy

Obviously, you don't go out in the rain to pick up your wife and kids....around here, where we get rain, it's not uncommon that the driver, the chivalrous one, will run out to the car in the pouring rain, and drive over to, say, the door of the mall, and then the other passengers run out and hop in the car.....if you take the time to pull up, stop, put the car in park, and wait for the doors to unlock, then signal your passengers that they can hop in now, all you will do it PISS OFF EVERYONE WAITING BEHIND YOU!!!!

Use some common sense, and stop being so anal retentive.

Reply to
Wandering Willy

Ford Explorers used to do that...put it in park, leave engine running, get out, come back to the vehicle anywhere from ten seconds to three minutes later, and sometimes it would have locked itself. Learned to always leave window down!

Reply to
CompUser