Does the CRV lock automatically at 9+ mph??

Hello everyone,

I have a 1998 Civic and I am considering the 2010 CR-V 4WD. I am looking at the EXL model. I was wondering if the doors automatically lock at 9 or 11 mph etc like the newer Civics and Accords do? This is something I would like to have on my car because I sometimes have to go to areas of town that aren't so great. If its not standard, is it something the dealer can set to do?

Thanks, Jill

Reply to
Jill

"Jill" wrote

I'm sure others will wonder, too, (and provide some usual nasty commentary) why you don't just press the master lock button to do this for you. ??

Reply to
Howard Lester

Yes the doors lock automatically. The driver's door unlocks automatically if you shift to park before turning off the ignition. For those who would rather keep the doors locked till ready to exit the vehicle, you either turn off the engine first then shift into park or disable the auto lock via the instructions in the Owner's Manual.

BTW, I wish Honda would add the hold-the-unlock-button on key fob to lower the windows like they do on the Accords. It helps cool the vehicle down on hot summer days before you get in.

sarita

2010 CR-V EX
Reply to
Sarita

Just took over my wife's 2006 Accord EX with black leather interior. That hold-down function is saving my butt every time I leave work. Even with the sunshade in the windshield, and the windows cracked it's 110 degrees in there at 5 PM.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Okay thanks for the information! I'm a little forgetful at times so having it lock automatically is helpful. I'll just keep the standard locking. I'm surprised the CRV are on the Honda site doesn't mention this like the accord does. I like the heat anyway so it being 110 in the car at 5pm for me is no big deal. I just open the door and wait a while to get in. I decided not to look into the Navigation package because all you are getting is a navigation, bluetooth and camera for $2,000.00. My friend bought me a Garmin GPS which has bluetooth for my birthday and I'm sure it was a lot less than $2,000.00 and does pretty much the same thing.

Jill

Reply to
Jill

If you force yourself to make it a habit, you'll never forget it.

That takes some time, training yourself, but once done it'll be as automatic as anything else you do automatically in your life.

And if it's a life or death issue, you should take the time to train yourself.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Like doing a walk-around and using your seat belts...

Reply to
News

The other feature the CR-V lacks is the adjustable & decent sized sun visor. The Accord's (at least from 98 forward) sun visors slides a couple inches which help when the sun is beaming in so you don't have to move your head or put your hand up. It also works on the passenger side. The CR-V visor should be slightly taller, it seems puny considering the CR-V is a crossover.

I noticed a friend's Toyota 4-Runner has 2 visors, one for the windshield & one for the door window. Even with tinted windows it would be nice to have the solar shade that pulls down on the doors.

The Honda Navi seemed good when I saw it in 2007 on a Acura RDX, the Honda dealer didn't have a navi equipped demo of any of the cars at the time. It looked better than a Tom Tom or Lexus's & was able to route around accidents. The down side is keeping them current. I think you can only get it @ the dealer. Haven't checked it out lately so they could have made it where they can update your system while your are in your drive way.

Sarita

"Sarita" wrote

visor. The Accord's (at least from 98 forward) sun visors slides a couple inches which help when the sun is beaming in so you don't have to move your head or put your hand up. It also works on the passenger side. The CR-V visor should be slightly taller, it seems puny considering the CR-V is a crossover.

Accords (no apostrophe, please) with side curtain airbags do/did not get the visor slides -- at least in 2004, when those airbags were optional.

Reply to
Howard Lester

not sure what you're talking about here.

"The Accord's sun visors..." is correct. The sun visors belong to the Accord--therefore an apostrophe is appropriate, as it denotes possession.

"Accords with side curtain airbags" is also correct--no aspostrophe, as you're denoting "more than one Accord".

One dog, two dogs--but it's the dog's water dish.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Absolutely.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Actually, if there were two or more dogs wouldn't it be "the dogs' water dish"?

More on topic...I have our CR-V set to lock when moved out of Park and to unlock when moved into Park. It's a bit of a PITA when you just stop to drop someone off...gotta remember to put it in Park. At any rate, there are several choices for the auto-locking including 'None'. It's in the manual.

Reply to
MM

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote

Right - what a dope. I failed to complete her sentence beyond the closed parenthesis. GAAK

Reply to
Howard Lester

Uh, instead of putting it into park, one could just hit the unlock button. On my wife's Odyssey, when the vehicle starts moving again and hits a certain speed they re-lock automatically.

Reply to
Seth

while some teach that, one should simply avoid it if at all possible. Reword the sentence.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

No, you don't have to do that at all. The user can simply unlock the door in question and open it.

Sheesh.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Yes that is true, but when you have another adult in the passenger seat talking to you, kids in the back screaming, the radio on and cell phones you can loose track pretty easily. I like to keep things as simplified as possible. I'm just hoping that the CR-V is what I want for snow driving. I live in the snow belt of the North East and need it for safe driving. I looked at the Jeep Liberty, Hyundai Tucson and Ford Escape and didn't like them as much as the CR-V.

By the way my Garmin has Bluetooth and Traffic re-routing I just found it in the instruction manual!

Does anyone have experience with CR-V 4WD performance in the snow particularly in the Northern regions of the US where 6-12 inches of snow is common as a small storm? I'll need to be able to drive in up to 8 inches of snow anyway.

Thank you,

Jill

Reply to
Jill

Jill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v32g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

The CR-V will be just dandy, as it goes. But I think you'll find your limitation will be the tires, not the car. If 8" of snow will be a regular occurrence for you, then you should consider a second set of wheels with dedicated and aggressive winter-tires installed, and they should be bolted to the car come November 1st. Plus you should always have a cell phone, a full tank of gas, a gallon of water, some non-perishable food, very warm blankets, toilet paper, flares, that sort of thing. Winter is serious business that can be truly and seriously deadly.

Snowstorms like you describe happen maybe three or four times a year, and at such times we tend to stay home (I live up here too, but north of Lake Ontario). If you're on the road on purpose under such conditions, you're really taking stupid chances with your life. Don't do it unless it's a bona-fide life-and-death situation.

Reply to
Tegger

Plus, it's often someone who isn't familiar with the car and has to first realize that the door's locked, then fumble around looking for the door lock button, ends up rolling the window down, etc. It's easier to just put it in Park and let it unlock the doors...probably safer, too, for the person getting in or out.

As for how it does in snow, check out one of the CR-V forums like on

The CR-V in snow question comes up regularly. The consensus seems to be that it does pretty well but snow tires are recommended. We live in the AZ desert and have never driven ours in snow, not even much in the rain...

Reply to
MM

snipped-for-privacy@v32g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Hi Tegger,

I'm usually not able to stay home during the snow because of my job. I'm expected to be there almost in all weather. I always keep a full or nearly full tank of gas, have a cell phone and car charger, usually two 16 oz bottles of water, snacks, basic medicines, first aid kit, flash light, scraper, shovel, deicer spray, and an emergency road kit. I'll have to consider the blanket and toilet paper to keep in the back as well. I already keep a box of tissues in the back seat for the kids.

The man at the Honda dealer said the CR-V was excellent in the snow. I don't know what kind of tires it has on it. Do you mean get separate wheels with snow tires? What kind of tires are considered good and how much do they cost?

Thanks,

Jill

Reply to
Jill