egr/canister purge solenoid

I have a 92' Loyale which I recently took into the dealer. (The check engine light has been on for over a year but only recently have I noticed any problem in the way the car is running). I was told that I need a new EGR solenoid ($230 installed) and a Canister Purge solenoid ($260 installed). Since $500 is a good bit more then I can afford, I am hoping to do the work myself. I have two main questions; 1) Where can I find the parts (I've seen lots of valves advertised, but no solenoids). 2) Would this be a foolish to attempt considering the only experience I have is changing oil and front brakes?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

namek

Reply to
nkisen

Both items are simple/easy to replace. May want to check for cracked vacuum lines before replacing either part. The EGR solenoid may be restored by just cleaning it. I would never pay $500 to have these 2 items replaced. You can find tons of these parts in wrecking yards for just a few dollars.

Reply to
johninKY

In addition to the junkyard, there are on-line OEM dealers, one I have used is

(Jamie is the contact there). At least, if not buying over the net, print out the price and see if the local dealer will match it. Hope you get the car running better soon

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan