Engine swap for a 2000 Impreza 2.2L

Hi,

I am looking for an engine swapp for my 2000 Impreza 2.2L 5spd

Right now, the engine 2.2L is rated at 142hp and 149lb*pi. I was hoping at something in the 200hp with regular gas

Unfortunatly, most engine are JDM 300hp+ Sti engine at 6000$-10000$ When compared to an engine Swap for a Nissan, Honda or Mazda, this is more than two times more expensive

I was thinking about the base WRX engine (complete engine+tranny+ecu) and I would only have to get a hood (or cut an intercooler opening in mine) and a new drive axe.

The other solution would be to get a 2.5L 165hp engine and apply a few mods on it to reach something like 180hp

Any advices welcome, I have located 3 stores that sell low milleage subaru engine in the Montreal area,

Charlez

Reply to
Charles Leblanc

Well, anything turbo will also require an ECU swap - so you may as well place the flat 6 on your list. My wife's '03 develops 212 hp. Of course the maual recommends premium - but running on low octane would likely still get you your 180 or more. Might need a front spring upgrade but there are plenty of those around. The engine is less than an inch longer than your's I believe. check

for some other ideas. Your present engine would need serious internal upgrades likely approaching the cost and complexity of a swap. bolt ons might get you another 15% or a little more - not 200hp - unless your considering NOS or something like that.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hello Charles,

What happened to your old engine? I remember your post, some time ago, where you described having some problems. Were you able to resolve those?

MN

Reply to
MN

The engine was repaired by the dealer. All it took was to change the fuel injectors and other goodies. We get really bad fuel in my region because it is soo cold in the winter and they give un a special mix. The result was that my injectors were worn out after less than 80000 milles. BTW with summer gaz driving on open roads, I will get 370 milles/tank and with the winter gaz I will get 250milles/tank, same road, same speed, same temperature. I verified this a few times driving out of my region to Ottawa or Montreal and back.

I was looking around to purchase a new car with a bit more power, especially since I am now getting passed by Toyota Echo! The engine is fine but I am thinking that swapping the engine to get a newer engine and more power. Also, I used to have a 1988 RX turbo and I really like the turbo driving experience.

I am not a tuner, my car is silver gray and the only upgrades that I have installed are a front tower strut brace (after the windshiels cracked) and

15" Forester styles steel wheels with Toyo 205/55 R15 instead of the ugly plastic wheels covers.

Charlez

Reply to
Charles Leblanc

Hi Carl,

I found a Subaru H12 engine at

Subaru 12cyl F1 engine

600Hp/13000rpm install in Your car or Your showroom Item number: 7998119030

I will not bid for it ;-) but i had to tell everybody.

As far as the H6 engine, I like the idea but how difficult would it be to fit?

Is the transmission compatible? I have a 5spd + awd How about the engine mount? How about the radiator?

At first, I was thinking about an electrical supercharger coupled with a kick down switch After I was thinking about a mechanical supercharger with a kick down switch

Ad far as the H6 is concerned, Since the 2.5L output is 66hp/litre with regular gas, I could expect to have 198hp out of the 23liter H6 and it would be Ok but I think that the H6 will be less fuel efficient than the

2.0L WRX engine

I will review the Nasioc forum this week to get more info

Charles

begin 666 s.gif M1TE&.#EA`0`!`)'_`/___P```,# P ```"'Y! $```(`+ `````!``$```(" $5 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Charles Leblanc

More specifically, read the Conversions forum at NASIOC. Just about any engine/drivetrain swap you can think of has been documented and discussed there-

mulder

Good to hear that.

I add a very small amount of Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) to my fuel regularly- makes the engine run a bit smoother. Around Southwest, Arizona, New Mexico, you can occasionally fill up with gas that seems to be diluted with water (?)

I know what you mean. I was thinking about doing something with my 2.2l but gave up. I only put a tranny cooler on it and Iridium NGK spark plugs. They are good. I've got 29,000k fairly happy miles on the Impreza; its a coupe and a bit lighter than your wagon so perhaps a bit more peppy (?). Acceleration is rather poor after I reach

30mph, so I resort to reving it harder and hope the synthetic oil and MMO in the fuel do their job as it sees high rpms frequently. I pray for the head gasket!

These people have a more powerful 2.2L engine actually its a 2.35L, you might consider. I know nothing about them, nor their products. I think this engine (stage kit) is still far away from the 200hp that would make you happy.

Did you consider buying the Saab version of the WRX?

I think GM offered employee pricing in Canada combined with GM Credit Card earnings- I've seen something like that on a Quebec GM/Saab, and Saturn, site.

Had they offered a similar deal in the US I would have bought a SAAB 9-2 (WRX), for sure, or maybe even an original 9-3, as I have a ton of earnings on my GM cards some ready to expire (7 year limit), and also acquired in your words "a liking for the turbo experience" :))))

In the States they won't let you combine GM card earnings with Saab, Saturn, purchases. Maybe they will in the near future, Detroit (GM/Ford in particular) is doing so bad and the economy in the US is also slowly running out of mortgage refinancing steam that I think more good deals will be offered in the near future.

MN

Reply to
MN

I take this back, the engine is not an ej22 modifiaction but a different 2.2L turboed engine that was available on some earlier Subaru cars that happens to fit easily on todays WRX's.

MN

Reply to
MN

Thank you for the link. The swap is more expensive and more complicated that I first expected.

The engine price is much higher than other japanese engine in my area and it seems that it is beyond my mechanical skills

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Leblanc

While the engine itself may be expensive, the mechanical part of the swap is usually not a big deal. The hardest part is the electrical stuff, to do this properly requires a fair amount of skill and knowledge, not to mention time. If this is your only car the time factor is a significant consideration as you can expect it to be off the road for quite a while.

Reply to
mulder

I was thinking about purchasing another car (cheap used car) to drive around while I would do the swap but I do not get that much spare time with my job and with the house maintenance and time is a big issue.

And you are right, the electrical is my main concern. I have the manual for the wiring but I live in a remote area and I am afraid to get an incomplete harness or missing connectors on the replacement engine and the delivery time is fairly long to reach my area. Heck! my Subaru dealer don't even stock spark plugs wires.

I really like the 2.0L turbo of the WRX, many peoples have reported a very reasonnable fuel economy.

Of course, If I could get a westfalia, I could cascade the WRX engine in my impreza and the 2.2L 142bhp in the westfalie

I am still thinking about it but more a dream than a project at this stage

Charles

engine+tranny+ecu)

Reply to
Charles Leblanc