Exhaust on 99 Legacy - your comments and opinions wanted.

Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian recently moved to the UK. We bought a 99 Legacy 2.5 (50K miles) a few weeks ago and about a week after we had it home the exhaust started making loud exhaust noises. Our local Subaru dealer told me today that it's going to cost £762 to replace two front exhaust parts. For those of you unfamiliar with the pound, £762 is $1353 USD and $1,759.49 CAD. That's more than our car in Canada was worth.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else has had to change their exhaust after a few years. I love this Subaru, but spending almost 2K CAD for two parts seems crazy.

Questions:

  1. Am I going to have to drop another couple of thousand in 6 months for some other problem?
  2. Has anyone else had to replace their front exhaust?

Apparantly this was due to 'corrosion'. I don't understand why my 1992 Chev in Canada was able to survive 13 winters (salt on the roads and all) with it's original exhaust system in place. Other than this, the Subaru seems to be of much greater quality.

For the record, we bought the car for £4750. Subarus aren't that common here in the UK, especially the Legacy. They're mainly famous for their success with rally racing. Also, the dealer said there's no way the previous owner could have covered something like this up since it's under some kind of heat shield. Just bad luck.

Regards, Dustin

Reply to
Dustin Aleksiuk