Falken ZE512 on ice and light snow.. Great! (Seattle)

We Falenized both Soobs with 512s before the Consumer Reports test that put them in the top 3 at #3. Ones a '00 Legacy OB (235/60-16), the other is a '97 Imprezza OBS (205/60-15).

I read Grolsh's earlier posts on the TripleTreds; would have bought them except for price. The ZE512 went over the counter for a considerable amount less, a little less than half. $66 vs $146 for a 205/60-15.

November went out with a nasty bashing of about 2-15 inches of snow on top of already wet pavement here in the greater Seattle area. There were "weather and traffic altercations" all over the place. Vancouver BC caught the same storm system but some of it looped in from the north and caught them worse in some ways. Areas between Seattle and Vancouver probably got the worst of it. All of November was a record 15.5 inches of moisture here!

I had areas of "crispy" 6"snow and ice on fairly steep hills, with 9 miles of pack ice and glare ice. All went fine. I even made it up one hill that I could only do with chains (on a Toyota pickup) before in similar conditions. That one required some noticeable tire-spinning, none of the other areas did. There were a few times that I did feel either/both the center or rear differentials 'kick in' but that's why I bought the Soob.

Braking on ice was surprisingly good. The Legacy OB is more 'sedate' and barely slides, the Imprezza OBS does want to move around a little more, probably due to the weight difference.

Parking lot brodies are so-so with the Legacy but the Imprezza is an absolute ball-- let it all hang out!

If I lived in the mountains/deepsnow country or was spending much time out in deeper snow, I'd say save your money towards the TripleTred or better yet some Blizzaks or Winterforces. But if you are living down from the mountains, Falken ZE512s are a decent all weather compromise. Summer handling and rain grip are outstanding.

Reply to
nobody >