How well Camry and Avalon in the snow or ice?

Thinking of getting either one of the model but I aslo heard from a coworker, his Camry does not handle snow or ice well. He further commented that his other Civic does a much better job in that situation.

Do I get a cozy drive with the sacrifice of lousy handling on slippery road? Would like to hear/share your experiences. I live in DC area which does not get serious snow or ice normally but the road I use to commute sometimes get pretty messy. They are definitely not on the top priority list to get cleaned after snow...

Reply to
harry

snip My wife's Camry does great in average depth snow and/or ice. It, like most front-wheel drive cars, won't go in deep snow though, like when it's getting above the bumper. Most of the equation is in the tires and how you drive. A slow, steady throttle and etc. with a good set of all-season or snow tires will get you anywhere you need to go except in deep snow. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Oh BS that the honda is better, its FWD just like toys. but it is all in the tires, If you get alot of snow, Snows are best, change in summer. Tires oxidise and after 4+ years they can be dangerous since they get hard and slippery. My Michelin roadforce are junk hard after 4-5 years, I just replaced the fronts and can feel with my fingernail the new ones are soft. The other day in snow because of old rear tires I slid, so time for new rears. With new dedicated snows you will go fine.

Reply to
m Ransley

When my 2001 4cyl LE was new it was OK in the snow but as the cheesy tires wore it became almost dangerous in the heavy rain & snow. My 2005 4cyl LE is OK in snow but also has cheesy tires. It's all in the tires from what I can tell. If I keep this one 3 years I will replace the original tires with some decent quality all season before they get dangerous.

REb

Reply to
Reb

It's not the car, it's the nut behind the wheel.

Reply to
Carroll Boardway

Get a set of 4 Blizzacks. They work great in upstate NY.

Reply to
Mike R

I have a set of 4 Nokian Hakkapeliita snow tires for my 99 Camry LE 4 cyl auto. While I have also heard positive comments and nothing negative about Blizzaks, I must say that I have been quite pleased with the Nokian tires and would gladly purchase another set when these are worn out. So you may want to definitely check them out at your friendly local tire retailer or online tire distributor :-)

We actually have 2 Camry's (95 LE and 99 LE, both 4 cyl auto) and the 99 replaced a 90 DX.....I've never had any particular complaints with any of them in the wintertime, with or without snow tires....and that includes some December trips back to the Chicago area, central Ohio, and NW PA.

By way of geographical reference, we live in Central NJ which is probably similar to Washington DC area in terms of winter weather.

Finally, here is a webpage URL

which looks interesting and which you may find useful .....

Hope this helps !

Reply to
Justa Lurker

I think a lot of this question is dependent on one's individual driving skill. I think a lot of people would be more competent in snow and ice if they would take the time to find a large, empty parking lot (like a church) and practice driving in snowy and icy conditions. Knowing the limits of your car's handling increases one's ability to drive competently.

It is also conceivable that a car's power to weight ratio and weight distribution affect the handling. When I had a VW Rabbit in the late 70's in Minnesota, NOTHING could stop it. The Camrys I have had are not as sure-footed, but better than most, IMHO.

Reply to
Roy Blankenship

I'm on my 6th Toyota since 1980 -- never had a problem with any of em.

Reply to
Jay Stootzmann

I noticed the comparison of a Civic to the Camry. The Civic is a much lighter/smaller car. Of course the Camry is going to carry a little more inertia. Sorry, but I like studs compared to anything else in ice.

Here's one for you - The Camry does a better job with noise than the Civic when I am running studs.

Reply to
amerikim