FIGHT eBay's HORRIBLE Price Increases - Meg MUST RESIGN!

Depends on what percentage of the leaving stores actually found and signed the petition.

But, no, it's not likely to put eBay out of business. It will more likely impact people like me - who occasionally sell a few items rather than send them to Goodwill. If eBay's keeping 22% of the selling price, why should I go through the hassle of selling?

Reply to
TravelinMan

yes, but that's an upstart website, alive for only a few days - the real numbers are here:

Posted by webnet ( 8990 ) on Jan-12-05 at 19:40:27 PST Auctions AMAZING. NOW since the last post at 19:26 stores 132,050 now its only 131,975 a loss of 75 stores closed in the last 20 minutes. I will check again in the morning to see how bad ebay has damaged themselves. AMAZING... sellers SPEAK OUT.

I checked the number of stores earlier and found 5,180 pages of them (@ 25 stores per page), hence the current count at 'about' 129,500.

To check the number do an advanced search, click on stores, search with 'no' keyword entries, then click on list alphabetically ...... on the results page scroll to the bottom and check the number of pages. Multiply by 25.

Reply to
Paul McCahan

Right, and the cost of bringing the goods to the market just went up. Everyone else selling the same goods will also raise their prices. Their only other option is to absorb the loss. Do you *really* think many are going to do that?

The part that you don't seem to understand is that the seller will raise his price to cover his costs.

I can't believe you don't understand this. When costs go up, sellers raise prices. It has always been thus.

There is more to the "market price" than the cost of the goods alone. There are other expenses and factors to consider. This is a prime example.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

That's fine for "buy it now" prices, but I believe most people are talking about auctions.

Reply to
Tim Smith

Where did you get 22%?

Reply to
Timberwoof

You apparently think ebay is the only place people can buy stuff.

But if his prices are already as close to what somebody can buy the item for elsewhere, and he raises it - he looses the sales.

I can't believe that you think raising cost is such a 'cure all'. especially when, as I mentioned above, ebay isn't the only place to buy stuff.

Reply to
Tim Adams

Not to defend eBay, but I don't think your interpretation makes sense.

The price increase doesn't take effect until February. Why would the stores shut down now? Why not continue selling until the change occurs? And if they currently have auctions running, it would be even more foolish to shut down - at least until the auctions finish.

Reply to
TravelinMan

That makes sense - IF eBay is the only route to market.

Hint: it isn't. And the other routes to market haven't had this amount of a price increase.

Of course, only eBay sellers have had this increase. Other routes to market have not.

There are also competitive routes to market. eBay sellers have just been placed at a _relative_ disadvantage (compared to where they were before).

Reply to
TravelinMan

What other online auction sites are there? I know of two. They're not nearly the size of eBay. I suppose someone could make the case that eBay is engaging in monopolistic practices.

Reply to
Timberwoof

Possibly, but difficult.

eBay sellers have to compete with Walmart, the Dollar Store, Amazon, and the entire rest of the economy. That's why a price increase hits them hard. As it is, I buy something on eBay if it's less expensive than other sources. Usually it is, but only by a little. If the seller tries to increase the price by enough to make up for eBay's increased fees, it will probably make their products more expensive than the alternatives - or at least not enough savings to make up for the hassle.

Reply to
TravelinMan

Reply to
jason b

For sure. However, I have gotten some pretty good deals at times as well.

Reply to
Rob Munach

Vote with your dollars. If the prices get too high, don't buy stuff from them.

Reply to
Gregory L. Hansen

No, that's not how it works. When someone has something used to sell what's the first thing they do. Check how much it goes for on ebay and set the price accordingly.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Maybe that's why there are only 29 so far?

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

NO kidding?

So Walmart sets their prices by going to eBay to see what items are selling for?

Wow. YOu learn something new every day.

Reply to
TravelinMan

Could be. I was thinking of setting up an eBay store for a business I know of, but might reconsider with the higher fees.

Reply to
TravelinMan

Teach me oh great one, what used items does Walmart sell?

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

alt.autos.subaru

I wouldn't bother, besides the high prices they have all sorts of other rules like you can't have a link to your own web site if it also has items for sale on it.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

The seller will just jack up his shipping price a buck. Do you honestly think half the stuff that sells on Egay costs $15-$20 to ship yet most auctions charge that much fro medium sized auction.

Problem solved.

Reply to
GMAN