Flat-No power above 3000rpm

Hi, I was hoping someone could help with advice.

I've got a 2001 subaru WRX which has just had a power engineering engine tune - exhaust + remap+etc. Very good... Unfortunately, somethings just failed - it's now undriveable - it will die if the throttle is pressed when driving - although it's possible to drive (managed to get home) with vitually no throttle 3rd gear 3000rpm. Power engineering are unwilling to send anybody out with a laptop (I am certainly not going to drive it 100miles to London), and I fear my warranty is now void.

If anybody recognises the problem I would be very grateful for advice - may be it's something simple like a loose with on a sensor?.....

Best regards, Adam.

Reply to
aloveridge

Edward Hayes

I had the same problem with my '97 and the fuel filter was the fix.

Reply to
4Banger Blues

Geez, if you hadn't mentioned that you had your beast modded, we'd probably have a lot of solutions. I was originally going to suggest making sure that your air filter was replaced properly. My 2000 OBW had a power drop off because of an improperly mounted air filter once.

But since you had your car modded, I'd definitely get to London if that's your only solution.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Thanks for your help/advice.

I'm attempting to get it done on the warranty, The guy that came out suggests it either the mass airflow or lamhda sensors. It needs to go to a dealer - apparently not many people have the right diagnostic gear. Unfortunately Subaru have closed a lot of dealerships down and everywhere is quite busy!

Lucky it happened inside 3 years I guess - Would like to read the error codes from the ECU myself. Does anyone know how to do it with an oscilloscope? Mind you I see that you can get ISO OBDII interfaces for $50... Any advice much appreciated.

Regards, Adam.

Reply to
aloveridge

Just to update.

Subaru would not touch it, due to it having a different exhaust and the fact the codes were showing p0545, p1301,p1544, and two more - the other two were caused by the truck driver trying to diagnose the problem.

I did some searching and found that the Exhaust temperature sensor could be at fault and that a 2.2K ohm resistor could cure it. - It did. After 3 journeys the malfunction light dissapeared.

I have since purchased an OBDII reader from the States. I plan to clear the codes and replace the faulty temperature sensor.

I guess with a decatted up pipe, the sensor life is reduced. - I believe the sensor must act as warning device as well as an indicator for emission performance.

Does anybody know how to prolong the life of these sensors?

Regards, Adam.

Reply to
aloveridge