Arctic Alpins

I have had them on my '02 OBW for about 2 weeks now, and we've had two minor snows here -- just enough to really screw up the driving. Tuesday morning I looked out my kitchen window and in the distance I can see a busy road where the cars are usually going 45-50 mph. They looked to be going about 15 max. When I got out there I noticed that none of the roads were salted, and I gave the car a little test spin in the cul-de-sac where I live. The ABS brakes went on and the car came to an immediate stop without much slipping at all. I drove all the way to work without a minute's worry (about 30 miles on country 2-lane roads), and I didn't have to go slow like the rest of the drivers. I wasn't going posted speeds, but I was doing a fair clip without any problems whatsoever. I drove on the Bridgestone factory tires last winter, and now it handles like a different car altogether. I love these Michelins.

June

Reply to
Diva

I think you'll find that almost any "winter" tire is better than a standard M&S tire. I've had Bridgestone Blizzak's of the MZ02 and WS50 variety on my Subaru's and they handle great. Very confidence inspiring, which can also make them dangerous unless you control yourself as you apparently do.

Reply to
Greg

Aren't they wonderful? I use a set on my WRX. They suffered thru a couple winter series autocross events (too lazy to change 'em ;-), several ice rallycross events (1st place at one), and lots of fairly aggressive 'round-town action last winter. They're back on the car again for another go-round, and still offer excellent grip on icy roads, and surprisingly good manners on dry pavement.

Ice racing starts the weekend after NewYears . . . yahoo!

ByeBye! S.

I'll top-post too...

I'm also a fan of winter tires. I chose Alpins because they handle very well on dry and wet pavement as well as on snow and ice, and I'm lazy so I left them on year-round (I know that's not the best way to use winter tires, but oh well...)

Reply to
That Guy

Artic Alpins are great as are Blizzaks. Like other posters say you'll find any 'winter' tire performs better then a mud and snow tire. Which winter tire is better depends on the conditions in your area. The big difference between M&S tires and winter tires is the rubber compound and the siping. Winter tires are made of a compound that stays more pliable as the temperature drops and more siping gives the tire more surface area to grip with. The softer compound is great in winter but only let the tire wear about

1.5 seasons if driven on dry roads in temperatures above say 40F.

There are tires for regular snow packed roads, there are tires for deep snow, and there are tires for ice. What works for you might not work for someone else. Here in upstate NY, they're pretty good about clearing the snow after a storm so even after getting 12-24 inches, within 24 hours your driving on wet slush or if on major roads they've plowed enough and salted to the point where the road is now dry. Here Artic Alpins are overboard 80% of the time but if you need control during the storm they're great.

I've talked to Subaru drivers, small/large truck drivers, etc and its a wash whether Alpins or Blizzaks as I said it depends on your personal circumstances.

I'm glad you like your Michelans just remember not everyone is as smart and thinks their M&S tires are just as good, be careful out there and enjoy the snow.

Reply to
null

Pirelli 210's are great for Scoobies too. They're about a half-notch below Blizzak's for snow traction but are much better when it comes to cornering/steering, noise, wear, and the most important; wet/dry traction.

As "null" said, if you're in an urban enough area where major roads/highways are cleared at a decent clip, which is most of the US, Blizzaks/Alpin's are overkill for the majority of the winter. Plus more importantly you're setup for SNOW conditions when most of the time its dry during the winter.

But during the storm, and if you travel to ski country, or like to play in the snow all 3 are great.

Reply to
LeBernadin

Thanks. I did a lot of research before I bought these. I know they are = just the thing for this area. I'm always on the lookout for crazies when = driving in snow. Thanks for the good wishes.

June

Artic Alpins are great as are Blizzaks. Like other posters say you'll = find=20 any 'winter' tire performs better then a mud and snow tire. Which winter tire is better depends on=20 the conditions in your area. The big difference between M&S tires and winter tires is the rubber=20 compound and the siping. Winter tires are made of a compound that stays more pliable as the temperature=20 drops and more siping gives the tire more surface area to grip with. The softer compound is great in=20 winter but only let the tire wear about

1.5 seasons if driven on dry roads in temperatures above say 40F.

There are tires for regular snow packed roads, there are tires for deep=20 snow, and there are tires for ice. What works for you might not work for someone else. Here in upstate NY,=20 they're pretty good about clearing the snow after a storm so even after getting 12-24 inches, within 24 hours=20 your driving on wet slush or if on major roads they've plowed enough and salted to the point where the road is = now=20 dry. Here Artic Alpins are overboard 80% of the time but if you need control during the storm they're great.

I've talked to Subaru drivers, small/large truck drivers, etc and its a=20 wash whether Alpins or Blizzaks as I said it depends on your personal circumstances.

I'm glad you like your Michelans just remember not everyone is as smart=20 and thinks their M&S tires are just as good, be careful out there and=20 enjoy the snow.

Reply to
Diva

I need them for back roads. I drive on back roads most of the way to = work in the snow where there is no road treatment. They seem to be great = for that.

June

As "null" said, if you're in an urban enough area where major=20 roads/highways are cleared at a decent clip, which is most of the US,=20 Blizzaks/Alpin's are overkill for the majority of the winter. Plus more=20 importantly you're setup for SNOW conditions when most of the time its = dry=20 during the winter.

But during the storm, and if you travel to ski country, or like to play = in=20 the snow all 3 are great.

Reply to
Diva