Forester Head Gasket

My Forester (136,000 m) blew a radiator hose, and after replacement of that and the radiator cap, I got 8-10 miles before it overheated again. (Servide place was closed and I was out of town.) Now towed and home, I spoke to a mechanic who told me this is almost certainly a head gasket--this happens frequently in Subaru's this old, and that the parts are hard to get, that I it's not worth fixing, that I should buy another car. That's hard for me to believe. I called another repair place that said it could be fixed in 3 days. I'm reading on the Net that it's important to get a manufacturer part, and that unless it's done perfectly, there can be problems. Any truth to all this? Any advise?

Reply to
mark_in_edmonds

Would help to know what year it is.

A head gasket problem is certainly possible, but other possibilities, such as inadequate purging of the cooling system after the hose and rad cap.

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

I agree with Larry in that there are several possibilities. Stuck thermostat, system not purged properly are the most likely causes. Check the cheap possibilities before making a decision. A good mechanic familiar with Subaru or the dealer is the best place to start.

Reply to
Edward Hayes