Front Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) question

I have a 2016 full-featured Subaru Outback 3.6L - bought it new. Love it except for this one area.

I have never been convinced the car has the subject feature - even with its so-called 'Eyesight'. In fact, I even had a minor front-end collision that I am more and more conivinced should never have happened. I hit a car moving crossways in front of me, and never felt any braking or any audible warning although I am not sure the latter would have helped. If fact, all any audible warnng would have done is take my eyes off the road to look at the dash - certainly a nono.

That said, I have tried to make the car react to anything in front, and do far it has not - Hell, it even did not see my closed garage door - which I almost went through.

A recent Consumers issue show the AEB feature (pp61) - I have to wonder if my 2016 has it. Or for that matter, I wonder just what, if anything, my car has. Maybe an earlier verssion of the AEB? The rest of the 'Eyesight' seems to work tho.

Maybe I can have this AEB feature installed? Probably a stupid q.

Thanks xxxxx

Reply to
xxxxx

I don't have a whiz-bang Outback but my aunt does (a 2017 bought new). Some of the eyesight functions turn off when you turn off the car, so they are not enabled when you next start driving your car. You have to press a button to enable some remaining features.

As I recall of the few times I've driven her car (maybe twice), I started her car and noticed some dash indicators were on, but when on they indicate a feature is off. I had to press some switch(es) to get them turned off, so the matching feature was enabled.

They do note some limitations of their eyesight system, like:

The EyeSight system needs time to recognize an object or potential obstacle. When the vehicle speed differential with an obstacle in front is greater than approximately 20 mph, it may not be possible to avoid a collision.

Sun glare, inclement weather such as heavy rain, snow or fog, or a dirty windshield will hinder EyeSight operation. A cracked windshield, oil film on the glass or reflections may impede EyeSight performance.

EyeSight may not recognize low-contrast objects, those with regularly spaced patterns, no pattern, horizontal lines, backlit objects, very small objects (less than 3 feet tall) or non-standard shaped vehicles, such as cement mixers or car-carrier trucks.

Non-approved aftermarket vehicle accessories, such as hood protectors, and water-repellent glass coatings should not be used with EyeSight-equipped vehicles.

When the system detects that the stereo camera lenses are dirty, no EyeSight functions will be activated.

Do not install any interior rearview mirror (such as a wide-type mirror) other than a genuine SUBARU rearview mirror. Also, adjust the rearview mirror so it does not obstruct the stereo cameras. Do not place any objects on top of the instrument panel. The stereo cameras may not be able to detect objects accurately and the EyeSight system may not function properly due to reflections in the front windshield.

If the top of the instrument panel is polished with chemicals or other sub-stances, the stereo cameras may not be able to detect objects accurately and the EyeSight system may not operate properly due to reflections in the front windshield. Do not install any wiper blades other than genuine SUBARU wiper blades.

So, keep the inside of your windows clean, don't use Rain-X on the windshield or put any similar stuff in the windshield washer fluid, and don't rely on it working over 20 MPH. Also, don't use some map app on your smartphone that shines a reverse image onto your windshield to let you watch the map while you drive. Don't use Armor All or other dash cleaners to get that fake shiny new-look, because that will reflect onto the windshield. I like the torsion bar wiper blades because they stay on the windshield at high speed, but I suppose they could be larger or seen as more opaque by the cameras, and the same for those deflectors on wipers that catch the air to push harder down on the wiper at higher speed. There are a lot of gotchas in the manual. Have you read all of them? My aunt hasn't despite having the car for about 2 years.

Eyesight doesn't relieve the driver of their responsibility to drive the vehicle. Turning around to scold the kids while driving doesn't have Eyesight take over responsibility of driving the car. It's just a safety feature, not AI to drive the car.

Reply to
VanguardLH

Any authorized Subaru repair facility should have the procedure for testing the system in their voluminous manuals. If you really want to find out if it is working then that would be your best but. Or if you can somehow lay your hands on one of the inflatable simulated auto rear ends that are seen all the time on TV during demonstrations...

Reply to
John McGaw

You could test with some cardboard boxes. Just make sure they stack higher then the hood of the car.

I noticed the manual says Eyesight may not recognize large vehicles, like a cement truck. Apparently it is geared to see people and cars, not walls, so driving into a wall or garage door isn't a fair test.

Reply to
VanguardLH

I missed that one in the manual. Page? The little I talked with Subaru, they got all upset when I said I tried to hit my garage. Told me not to do that! I could not find a cement truck. :

Reply to
xxxxx

I scanned through the online copy of the manuals (two of them that covered Eyesight). Don't remember the page. Don't feel like scanning them again. Also, could've been from reviews about Eyesight or Subaru's online articles. Use the stacked cardboard boxes in front of the car to test if it's working.

What make and model was the other car? Did you T-bone them, or have a side collision, like they came at you from the side but it wasn't perpendicular and they hit you in the fender, so they never were directly ahead of the car?

Reply to
VanguardLH

I looked again too. No luck.

The other car was a sedan shooting lefttoright across my path. He was going some 25 mph or more; I was going 1 mph or so from a stop in driveway.. I dented his passenger front door. My stupidity I guess. He sued for injuries of course (that's a laff, but he got money). Wife and I were not hurt.

My subaru emitted no audible, nor did it attempt to brake, which I would have felt.

Live and learn! xxxxx

Reply to
xxxxx

My aunt's is a 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited. I opened the "Eyesight Quick Reference Guide" (in my PDF viewer: PDFXchange Editor) and did a search on "cement". Found on page 6.

Reply to
VanguardLH

interesting.....I found 2 hits. I must be missing something?

Subaru Driver Travis Pastrana Wins 15th Career Medal with a Silver at ESPN X Games 15 Rally

Subaru "Work Play Love" Tour Brings All-new Impreza and Fresh Air Therapy to Like-minded Companies Across the Country

I had saved two pdfs on my car 'way back:

2016 Outback EyeSight® Driving Assist System.pdf and 2016 OUTBACK OWNERS MANUAL.pdf

I did not find any reference to the subject 'cement truck

xxxx

Reply to
xxxxx

You might consider filing a comment with NHTSA

Also, post your experience at

as well. Someone may be able to ask a few questions and determine what system you have and explain how it should be behaving.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

My accident was 12/20/2016. I thought I already did. But I reviewed what I have recovered from a system crash, I see no evidence of my submission of some time ago. I do have an undated paper record with a 'complaint number' on it from safercar.gov Complaint number 11183351 But I can find nothing else on that site today about my submission. I must have done something wrong. If I can't find anythiing else on this, I guess I'll just have to try that again. Dang! xxxxx

I have talked with Subaru. They warned me to stop trying to hit my garage! Said the Eyesight system was not designed to detect same. Unbelievable. Also said the system was not designed to help in my accident situation as I described it. Again - unbelievable.

Reply to
xxxxx

The Eyesight system "sees" only a very narrow field directly in front of the car. A car passing close by at speed will probably enter the active field far too quickly for the system to respond. Human eyes, on the other hand, have a wide field of peripheral vision which is a good thing but only if the driver is paying attention and reacting appropriately.

Reply to
John McGaw

I see what you are saying. To me that leaves a quite small window in which Eyesight would help - and if you read my NHTSA post still does not explain why it did not see the chicken truck which slid back and forth in front of me when we both were skidding on the ice with my Subaru ending up inches from the truck. The truck was in full view of the front of my car for several seconds. I sure would like to read about actual cases where Eyesight showed itself to actually to have worked. Know of any? Thanks xxxxx

Reply to
xxxxx

The above linked Forum is for Outback owners (primarily) and is NOT a Subaru corporate site. There is one post where a guy did some testing and shows how a Subaru can absolutely run over a 'baby' in front of it.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Did anyone test it against the threats it was designed to protect against?

Reply to
John Varela

I thought I did. I know that I tried at least. I have convinced myself that this Subu feature is a P O S at best and a disappointment at least. Just me? Probably. xxxxx

Reply to
xxxxx

I sure wud like to read that one! That wud be my experience. xxxxx

Reply to
xxxxx