Front seals

97 Outback Sport 2.2L

Anyone with direct experience with changing the front seals? I changed the drivers side cam seal because it was leaking and the housing it was in was easily removeable. The front crank seal and Passenger side cam seal looks pretty tough to get out....any first hand experience and what tool did you use? A seal puller is a bit big to get in there.

Thanks! Jim Lofgren, Redmond, WA

Reply to
Jim L

I drill a small hole in the seal and use a mechanics pick to pull the seal out by sticking the pick in the hole. Just be careful not to gouge the crank or housing with the drill bit. With a very stubborn seal I drilled a hole and then threaded a screw into it and pulled on the screw to remove the seal.

Reply to
Rat

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like you either remove the radiator or use a

90 degree drill. What does the mechanics pick look like? Is there another name for it? Thanks aga>> 97 Outback Sport 2.2L
Reply to
Jim L

Remove the radiator - it makes the job much easier. A mechanics pick just looks like a screwdriver with a thin shaft and 90 degree bend or hook at the end. A picture of one at this link

Rat