Front Wheel Squeal on Turns

I have a 2002 WRX and it has started making a loud metallic squealing sound from the front right wheel when I make a right turn. The sound suddenly stops when I apply the brake, but comes right back when I let off it. The noise is getting to a point where I hear it even when steering to the right while moving. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Jim

Reply to
superfrog

Needs new brake pads.

PaulW

Reply to
PaulW

Huh? It squeals when he's not on the brakes and in a turn, and goes away when he applies brakes.

I think it's a bearing - hitting the brakes reduces the slack in the wheel.

Reply to
Patrick Fisher

"Patrick Fisher" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Most disk brakes have a wear indicator that will causing a squealing noise when the brakes are NOT applied. It's basically a small metal tab that rubs against the rotor:

I think PaulW's diagnosis is correct. Needs new pads.

Reply to
Fuzzy Logic

Hmm. I'll be darned. There _may_ also be a bearing issue if there's enough slack in right turns to change the wheel geometry that it rubs more then.

Reply to
Patrick Fisher

It could also be a dragging caliper/brake pad

Reply to
Henry Paul

Rotor sounds like it's out of round (defective) or calipers dragging. Look to see for rings cut in the rotor or other signs of rub. (get to a brake shop and fix it b4 it's worse)

Reply to
oatscale