fuel smell from gas filler neck area on 95 legacy.

I've lived with this problem for years, but have finally gotten fed up with it.

My 95 legacy is leaking fuel vapor somewhere, and I can't figure out where. If I fill it much past 3/4 tank, then take a left turn with any amount of gusto at all, I wind up with my car smelling like gas for a while. If I fill to within one gallon of full it will smell while just sitting in the driveway. The odor is strongest outside the car by the filler, but is noticeable in the car sometimes also.

I have a hunch that the filler neck has a pinhole or crack in it somewhere, but it is coated in undercoating, so is impossible to inspect. There are smaller hoses that run parallel to it that I assume is a vent or soem sort of emission controls going to a charcoal canister or something. The failure could be in that too. Has anyone else had this prblem and figured out where it is coming from, then successfully fixed it? I'm satisfied with JBweld type fixes at this point. The car has 245k miles on it, and the rust to prove it. So I'm not going to spend money to put a new gas tank in it. Pretty much anything over about 250 bucks is out of the question, but even if it is over that, I'd still like to know what the problem is.

Reply to
weelliott

You mentioned the car has rust. More then likely the problem is the filler tube/pipe has a rust hole in it somewhere. Seemingly a very common problem in the rust belt region. Never had to replace one so can't comment on how easy/difficult the repair is.

Reply to
johninky

I THINK the vapor recovery tank is back there. maybe some part of it is cracked? Try a web search - this problem seems familiar/common to me.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

There _is_ a plastic tank behind the right side rear wheel well on the Legacy wagons, probably something similar on the sedans. I _think_ it is a fuel/vapor separator associated with the evaporative emissions system.

While it is entirely possible that the plastic has aged and cracked, or one of the rubber hoses has come loose, a more likely culprit is, as John suggests. a rusty filler neck. This is quite common, as the shield in the wheel well collects mud and debris that is not removed during the course of a "casual" car wash.

I don't recall it being a horrible ordeal to replace the filler neck, at least not on a wagon. Hit a salvage yard, and get a filler neck, the large diameter rubber hose that connects to the gas tank, and any associated vent lines. That way, if you have to cut anything to get the old one out, you have spare parts ready at hand. Components from '90 thru '95, maybe even '96 should all fit. (?)

Put the right rear up on jack stands, pull the wheel, and filler neck shield, and clean things up as well as practical. From there, it will be pretty obvious what needs to be done to effect the swap; 3 or 4 screws inside the fuel door, and clamps at the hoses. After 300K miles, the rubber will likely appear to be fused to the metal neck. If you can get a grip with a pair of channel-locks, you can usually break the bond by twisting the hose relative to the metal, if not you will probably have to slit the hose with a razor knife to get it off.

Do whatever you need to do, replace any questionable pieces, and toss on a new gas cap. That _ought_ to fix the problem.

While you are at it, take a good look at the gas tank. If there is a lot of rust present, you might have issues with that as well. Replacing the gas tank isn't the end of the world, but it is more involved; the rear diff and carrier have to be removed IIRC.

Let us know what you find.

ByeBye! S.

I hadn't realized that the filler neck is separate from the gas tank. I'll have to take that shield off and look at it more carefully.

Thank you for all the replies.

Bill

Reply to
weelliott

I had help here a while ago for ONE of my gas smell problems. That one was a rusted filler pipe. The plastic shield in the wheel well collects dirt which eventually promotes rust on the bottom of the pipe curve.

There is also a lot of rubber too. I'm thinking of tying a rag or paper around the short rubber hose that connects the filler pipe to the tank to detect leaks, but there are a bunch of little hoses too.

Nils K. Hammer

Reply to
synthius2002

Unless they have been exposed to the sun a lot (unlikely) the rubber is probably OK. If you suspect leaks here, but can't visually locate anything (wet spots, deep cracks), your best (and probably easiest) solution will be to simply replace them. You should be able to find suitable rubber hoses at a decent auto parts store such as NAPA. Be sure they are rated for fuel service.

Ever see where someone has lost their gas cap, and stuffed a rag into the opening as a temporary fix? Call 'em "Rolling Molotov Cocktails" ;-)

ByeBye! S.

Me too! I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Nils

Reply to
synthius2002