Q: Jump starting a car

Since my car battery is flat, I'm looking to get it recharged, but rather than recharging it from the mains, I'd like to recharge it through driving. If only I could get the car started ...

Went to Halfords to get a portable battery to jump start the car from, but they didn't have what I wanted (they were happy to sell a recharger instead). Now my query is this: given that such portable batteries are widely available in Denmark for about £25 (which I know for a fact), can it be that they are not available in the UK? Or is Halfords simply a silly place to look for such a thing?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Stefan W. Christensen

Reply to
Stefan W. Christensen

You can get them all over the place, eg:

The only thing halfords are good for IMO is tools (as in sockets and spanners).

Reply to
Grunff

Stefan W. Christensen (S_W_C snipped-for-privacy@soton.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

They are, but they're not "mainstream", so they're not that cheap.

Screwfix's cheapest is £50, MachineMart's cheapest is £30, Argos have one that includes a charger for £50.

You can get 'em cheaper, but not easily.

Halfrauds is a silly place to look for *anything* except overpriced car stereos, airfresheners and beaded seat covers.

Find a decent local small independent car spares shop (or "motor factor")

Reply to
Adrian

Grunff ( snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'm assured that is the case.

But I just can't bear to bring myself to go in there...

Reply to
Adrian

I feel I must step in to defend their tools. They do good sockets and spanners at pretty good prices. But nothing else, I agree.

Reply to
Grunff

I do know what you mean. I don't go anymore because I don't need any more sockets! (and they don't do Metrinch anyway; once you've tried Metrinch you tend not to go back to normal sockets + spanners)

Reply to
Grunff

Grunff ( snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I've never tried Metrinch, because I don't think I've worked on anything non-metric since having the misfortune to own a Hillman wImp briefly in the late '80s.

I do like the couple of "uni-size" metric wall-drive sockets I've got, though.

Reply to
Adrian

All my current cars are metric, but I still use my Metrinch stuff almost exclusively.

I think the Metrinch marketing people are doing a very poor job. Most people think the the main (only) advantage of metrinch stuff is the metric/imperial compatibility, but the truth is it's the wall-drive aspect that's really good. They are /by far/ the best wall-drive sockets I've ever used. If the bolt/nut has any head left on it, a Metrinch socket will almost always get it off.

Reply to
Grunff

Grunff ( snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Reply to
Adrian

Tip: RS do a range of sets, and I'd go for the 3/8" drive if going for one of the smaller ones. Nice and flexible.

Reply to
Grunff

If the battery is really flat, you'd be throwing good money after bad, it's best days are over, they're never the same after a deep discharge. Just buy another battery, it'll probably be about the same price as a "portable battery"...

Just my two-pennorth

Reply to
Tony Bond

And Lexus style lights for Corsa's and Saxo's.

Reply to
Johnny

Johnny ( snipped-for-privacy@spam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Those bloody feral apostrophe's get everywhere.

Beside's - you want fleaBay for Paxo and Coarser naff kit.

Reply to
Adrian

D'ya know, I was going to say something about the apostrophe abuse, but calmed myself and decided not to. Gets me soooo angry! ARGHHHHH!!

Reply to
Grunff

Grunff ( snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Some people need to be thoroughly Trussed up.

Reply to
Adrian

Well it's better than apostrophe abuse!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Johnny

It get's to me as well

Reply to
Mark W

Do you suffer from flat batteries often? If so, that needs to be addressed. If not, why would you need a 'portable battery'?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

or! ex!clamation mark abuse!

Reply to
jeremy

The message from "Mark W" contains these words:

As well as what?

Reply to
Guy King