getting deposit back

Ok I put a deposit down on a car. I did not sign anything for the loan and I did NOT take the car off the lot, it is still at the dealership. Is it possible to get my deposit back and how hard is it usually?

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Paul

That's a legal question, not a Subaru question. State laws vary (assuming you're from the US) all over the place so talk to a local lawyer.

Just out of curiosity, did you try asking for your money back?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

In some states it might be 24 hrs. I think some others have 3 days, though that may be for in-home sales.

you might try to find a 'consumer affairs' person at a local newspaper or TV station.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
bigjim

Reply to
Edward Hayes

You don't put a deposit down on a car to "hold the car", you actually do it so the dealership has some control over your actions. Some of the dealers still work in a world where they will only trust a customer if they see the color of their money first. With them holding on to your money you are a lot less likely to walk out of a price negotiation. They hold on to it to do one of two things:

  1. Make you come back at least one more time so they have one more shot at selling you a car.
  2. Make you squirm for "wasting their salespersons time".

If you can, call them up and simply tell them that you will be coming to pick up your deposit because the deal on the car fell through and then go there and get it. Be friendly to the people there and talk about things like "maybe working out something later on", etc. and they should get you your money back right away.

If you signed a sales contract you should STILL be able to get out of it because no court is going to hold to something like that and the dealers know it. They don't want you as a customer if you don't really want, or for whatever reason, suddenly can't afford the car. They'd rather sell you something that you want and can afford.

If it gets bad and you gave them a check for the deposit you can always cancell or put a hold on the check. It usually costs a few bucks to do but if they are going to hassle you $10 is a small price to pay... you'd spend more than that in gas and lost time out of work trying to get it back. Put the hold on the check right away so they don't hurry up and cash your check.

If they don't give you your money back start by going to the Better Business Bureau in your area and lodge a complaint then follow what they say to do.

The odds are though none of these extreme things are going to happen. Just walking in and being "disappionted" that the deal fell through should get you your money back quickly and politely.

...And > Ok I put a deposit down on a car. I did not sign anything for the loan

Reply to
grantbilbrough