Graphite Head Gaskets

came across Expanded graphite and metal head gaskets, and wonder of Subaru might be using something like them? Found some that said, Expanded Graphite, and some saying Expanded metal with graphite, so don't know if they are the same. If the open deck blocks are a cause of a gasket problem, with cylinder sleeve movement wearing the gasket, it sounds like ones with graphite might help the problem. Anyone hear about these types of gasket?

VF

Reply to
houndman

Hi,

I have no experience w/ these, but I do know many manufacturers have had head gasket problems in the last 20 yrs or so, and the solution to many of them HAS been a metallic gasket of some type.

An example would be the Toyota 22-R engine used in many of their small pickups during the '80s and early '90s: they were notorious for blowing factory headgaskets. My '86 ate its h/g at 69k miles (which seemed to be about "average" mileage for failure at the time.) The "racer" types were using copper aftermarket gaskets w/ good success, and, in '88, Toyota switched to a factory metallic gasket. My '88 has it, and it seems to have worked!

I'm not sure what the difference between the two types you described might be other than that the "expanded graphite" is a fibrous gasket like many OEMs, the "expanded metal w/ graphite" might be a sandwich affair: two metal sheets w/ the fibrous material between them.

Maybe something like the latter would help the Subies that like to eat h/g's.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright