head gaster replacement

Well it looks like the head gasket is failing in my 00 obw. Stopped in a respected independent Subaru shop for cost est. $1600 for head work and resealing the whole engine. Heads will be surfaced. Checked in at dealer and they want $2300 and mentioned head would be pressure checked but no detail on what that meant and no mention of replacing any seals.

Anyone else had to do this recently and what did you pay?

Oh, did the timing belt, water pump, front oil seal earlier this yr so that is not needed.

Have/had plans on a long trip within days of repairs and have some concerns about hitting the road for several weeks so soon after the repairs. Going to the independent shop, if there is a problem that pops up while away, I don't believe I have any recourse on expenses even if they do offer 1 yr on parts. Any comments about hitting the road so soon?

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

I just picked up my '00 Legacy Wagon from the dealer. The dealer replaced the head gasket at no charge under the recall notice warranty. I believe Subaru is extending the warranty out eight years for head gasket leaks.

I have no idea how the delaer tested the seals, but they told me the charge would normally be $1,200-$1,400. I dropped it off last night and picked it up this evening. At this moment I am a HUGE fan of Subaru, that's for sure.

Reply to
Pete2000

This is the first I've heard of 8 yrs. If universally true I would have thought the dealer would have said something. The word I had heard was 100k miles and I'm beyond that.

Only having the car for 1 day, I suspect engine was not pulled and possible only 1 side (usually the left) was replaced. To reseal the engine, thinking of rear main seal, I believes it requires the engine to be pulled to gain access to the seal. Wonder if your repair included any work to the head(s)?

Thanks for your comment.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Model 2.5 L engines were suseble to head gasket weeping externally. If your Subaru was one of the Models then IF you took your car to the dealer he would put in a " Conditioner" and increase the warranty to

80,000 miles or X years. ed
Reply to
Edward Hayes

I have an 02 Outback which was not subject to the recall. What did they change in design that I was not affected? From an e-mail I sent SOA. Thanks Jeff

As requested, I checked our computer system and your vehicle is not affected by either recall. When a Manufacturer announces a Recall, not all of the vehicles are always affected. Usually, there is a range of vehicles, and this seems to be your case.

Reply to
Jeff

There was a new head gasket design.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Performed cylindar leakdown test: CYL 1 8%, 2 7%, 3 22%, 4 18%. Removed cylindar heads and inspected. Found signs of headgasket leaks. Checked block and head for warpage. All under 0.002IN OK. Replaced head gaskets. Reassembled, refilled coolant system 1 GAL, and oil 4.5 QTS. Test drove and rechecked.

Sounds like the work was done to me.

Reply to
Pete2000

Have you tried any of the Subaru Cooling System Conditioner (really Radweld)? I believe the stuff sells for around $1.50 per bottle.

Reply to
Ed Fortmiller

Cooling system conditioner...HAHAHAHA...thats a good way to fix a head gasket problem...A joke of a fix..for a joke of a car.

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

Believe they are on their 3rd. design for the head gasket. Word from the inde and dealer says the latest design seems to be working OK. The independent shop told me earlier this yr he has never had to replace a head gasket on a engine that had the 3rd gen design. That may or may not mean anything as the 1st gen design was good for 100k miles. I would think after replacing the first gasket it would be hard to find cars that have an additional 100k on them. It is possible that a new design could perform worse than the design it was replacing. May be reason they are on 3rd design.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

The 2.5 phase I engines tended to leak internally, between water jacket and cyl. Phase II engines tended to leak externally thus no leakage between water jacket and cyl. At least that is what I've read about this problem.

If you have one of the phase II engines, overheating and loss of compression may never be seen.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

I'm just reading some of these posts now but don't have all the history because my newsgroup server rolls them off pretty quickly.

I have a 99 SUS Ltd with almost 96K miles on it... should I be asking the dealer something about a warranty fix?

I was go>Edward Hayes wrote:

Reply to
ismlv

because my newsgroup server rolls them off pretty quickly.

dealer something about a warranty fix?

stop after a long drive (2 hours highway speeds), I smell a bit

(every 3 - 3.5K miles).

What you smell is most likely oil from the front oil seal. The good news is that you are almost due to change the timing belt and when you do, everything will be out in the open and it will be cheap to fix.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Just received word today that repairs are complete. Will pick up first of week. The good news is final bill just a little over $1300. How often do you find the final bill coming in under the quote? They always find something else to charge extra for, or so it seems.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Jeff,

I have a 01 legacy GT Ltd; can you check if my engine is affected? What can I do to prevent a Head Gasket Failure?

Thanks for your assistance.

RM

I am pretty sure 01's are affected. I went to the Subaru website and e-mailed SOA. They responded with the answer. You have to register on the website with you VIN# and they will check. Jeff

Reply to
Jeff