Help with CEL P0136 on '02 Forester?

On my 2002 Forester, the CEL has been staying on, took it to Autozone they read out a P0136 error code, which is suppossedly a Rear Oxygen Sensor Circuit Malfunction - how difficult are these to replace? I'd like to save a few bux and do it myself if possible. I have also read some posts that seem to indicate the wiring to these sensors will sometimes go bad, throwing the error code. thanks for any help!

Reply to
mparkes

Did they clear the CEL and, if so, did it come back on very quickly?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

They cleared it earlier today and it hasn't come back on yet.

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Reply to
mparkes

I would wait to see if it returns. A cut wire might return immediately, a slow or 'lazy sensor' might come back in a few weeks. It MAY not come back at all. Usually, as for wear, the front sensor goes first - more heat and un-'catalyzed' combustion products hit it first. How many miles on your car?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl, 100,000 miles -

So this is the rear sensor ...after the catalytic c>

Reply to
mparkes

All 4 cylinders will show as 'bank one' (1/2 V8) even if they are not inline. Your car MAY have 3 sensors - anyone? - anyways, I's be very tempted to confirm which sensor if possible - sounds like it is getting 'lazy' - you can actually see them 'switch' on an o'scope and maybe some analog voltmeters - google 'lamda sensor' or 'oxygen sensor' . Do not use a voltmeter on them! It is either useless or damaging IIRC.

you might post the code and conditions at

for more input, but I think you are just getting to point of needing a sensor. Just need to confirm which one. The AZ guy probably got the correct code number - but it may mean something 'slightly' different depending on the year model,etc.

just my $0.02

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan