Help with trans code 16 on a 1997 Legacy???

Wondering if someone can assist me with troubleshooting trans code 16 on 1997 Subaru Legacy. Code indicates bad connection between TCM and ECM, or possibly bad ground at trans connector. That is according to Mitchell. But, the wiring diagram (also Mitchell) doesn't jive with the diagnostic proceedures. Searching online yielded yet other plug and pin numbers, etc... Plugs for transmission don't look the same as those either. It has a connector at the gear selector on right side of trans. Another plug in harness above transmission, which goes down to left side of trans where it appears to not be a removable connector where it enters transmission, if that helps any. Looking for wiring diagram and/or diagnostic procedures that actually match this car! Thanks if anyone can help. I don't have the print out from Mitchell at the moment, but can have it here for my next post if I get any potential help here...

Currently, I'm running with a fuse installed out at the FWD socket. This prevents the binding associated with it being in limp mode, which is what happens when it sets code 16. I was also not able to retrieve any history codes because again, the wiring / sockets don't match the instructions I have for doing so. Anyone know if it's bad for it to drive on extended trips in FWD mode? Seems a lot better than the binding and scuffing off tires otherwise! I don't have an owners manual for it either... maybe it's mentioned in there? LOL, I couldn't even find anywhere for what size fuse to use in it... but a 5 amp is working fine! If I can't get the problem figured out (and fix it cheaply), I plan on running a circuit and switch to the dash for the FWD fuse function. Then I'll have a front wheel drive with a 4 wheel lock switch! That's assuming (dangerous word) that it can handle

100% duty cycle keeping those clutches completely disengaged.
Reply to
In2hoppn

If you will sign up at

and search around/ask over there, you will see a thread about installation of just such a switch as you describe, and likely find a lot of help with your 'older' wagon. You have confirmed all your tires are the same model/ wear/circumference? And I think there was a year model near yours that needed a steel sleeve in place of a fast wearing aluminum part in the transmission related to the wet-clutch solenoid?. Or perhaps your wet- clutch pack is just shot. Also, there is an additive that some folks have used that seems to help with torque bind . I THINK it is a Ford product but someone here will likely know for certain. Also, be aware some folks have mistaken a frozen U-joint for torque bind. i do not think extended use of the FWD fuse is a problem.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan